Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
I have yet to mess with the MBA at the store, but it looks from photos and such that it isn't that thin. It seems like it is almost thicker because it sits up off the table but I wanna see it in real life anyway. I think Apple is just having trouble out doing themselves- I mean the MB and MBP are already an inch thick and that is pretty good. Just seems like when compared to these already very thin computers the MBA isn't as exciting or shocking.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I have yet to mess with the MBA at the store, but it looks from photos and such that it isn't that thin. It seems like it is almost thicker because it sits up off the table but I wanna see it in real life anyway. I think Apple is just having trouble out doing themselves- I mean the MB and MBP are already an inch thick and that is pretty good. Just seems like when compared to these already very thin computers the MBA isn't as exciting or shocking.

Yeah, well your eyes are playing tricks on you because the AIR is "thin as air". You will feel differently (in a good way) when you see it in person. If you say otherwise it's only because you are forcing yourself not to like it.
Apple is having trouble outdoing themselves?? Is that why they have $18 billion in cash??:p

andyokay

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
Even at the base price of 1799 it's too much. It looked like plastic to me. and yes, it has it's use, i understand the purpose of it and don't knock it for that.... i just think Apple is charging way too much. I'm done with this argument... i just think i should give a heads up to people that may have ordered it. You may want to see it in the store first. So be it if your happy. Enjoy.

My reaction was the opposite.
I was apprehensive when I saw it online at the keynote, but when I saw it in person, I was completely happy with my purchase. Thrilled, even.

Apple isn't charging too much; it's a very reasonable price, for a laptop of it's weight/size. It's far more affordable than its ultraportable rivals :)

s57

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Good. Don't like it, don't buy it!
A lot of people think a Ferrari's not worth it, but enough do...

Perfect analogy! Light, expensive, beautiful - MBA = Ferrari (well, not quite as fast, but still...)

To all those complaining about the price: Compare it to other ultra-light, ultra-portable notebooks and you will see that the MBA is not more expensive.

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
Yeah, well your eyes are playing tricks on you because the AIR is "thin as air". You will feel differently (in a good way) when you see it in person. If you say otherwise it's only because you are forcing yourself not to like it.
Apple is having trouble outdoing themselves?? Is that why they have $18 billion in cash??:p

I will definitely be taking a look at it next time I am at the Apple store (hopefully to buy my new laptop- goin with the MB)
I just meant the MB and MBP are so thin that to make the MBA thin enough to have serious appeal above and beyond the MB/MBP is tough- if possible at all. All the Mac people out there are probably used to these computers by now but for the non Mac people like myself the first time I saw a Macbook I was blown away. I could not believe how thin it was- then the 15 and 17 inch MBP just took that shock one step further. The last thing I would have thought was "I wish this computer was thinner". It surprises me that Mac made that their goal.

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
Well, just got back from the Apple store, I have to say the Air is very thin- it looks thicker in pictures for some reason but it is strikingly thin. I have to say however from picking it up and messing with it a bit I don't see it being any more portable whatsoever. I do like the keyboard though- kinda a throwback. It seems like if they put the screen on the MB or MBP it could shave some space off them and update the look a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.