Not in Address Book Ringtone?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Mork, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Mork macrumors 6502

I could have missed this, but it seems there is no way to have the iPhone (ios 7) let me set a custom ring tone if the caller is not in my address book.

I would typically let any of those calls, not in my address book, go to voice mail under most circumstances.

Is there a way to have a custom ring tone for callers not in my address book?

Thanks,

-m

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I don't think you can set that up. You could keep Do Not Disturb turned on and only allow calls from your Contacts, but you'd lose notifications.

3. SpyderBite, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Not in Address Book Ringtone?

Set the default ring tone to something familiar. Then set a ringtone for each of your contacts that is different from your default tone.

I realize this is a backwards solution but until such a feature is implemented, this is your best bet.

4. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, manually setting a ringtone for 300 contacts is a non starter.

I wonder why Apple missed this obvious thing. I was sure it would be "fixed" in iOS7. Maybe iOS8 or maybe not...

Probably the best idea, given what's available, is to set do not disturb on and only accept calls from contacts.

- m

5. chabig macrumors 68040

There is another alternative...keep everything unchanged and only pick up the calls that have caller ID names you recognize. Send the rest to voicemail.

6. Mork thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, that's what I do now... :(

This method forces me to look at the phone, which I'm trying to make audio only in case the phone is not in my hand or within arm's reach.

Thanks,

-m

7. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

This is not what you are asking for but it can be useful anyway..
    Some spam calls have a caller id because they want you to call back . I keep those numbers as a contact called Spam Call ;-) and set a silent ringtone and no vibration .