Not jailbroken only using Gevey Sim. Still need to preserve baseband?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Dalexc, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Dalexc macrumors newbie

Excuse the noobiness, I simply just don't know.

I've searched everywhere for an answer and have not found one so I'm asking. Last thing I want to do is mess up my phone.

Also would appreciate a step by step guide (or a link to one) that can help me do this, but if anyone just knows my original question I think I can figure out the rest.

Even if your phone is not jailbroken, do you still need to preserve your baseband before you update to iOS 5.

2. N3RVE macrumors newbie

If you're using an unlock solution like Ultrasn0w or Gevey, yes, you will need to preserve your baseband prior to updating to iOS5. Currently, the jailbreak tool that lets you do this (Sn0wBreeze 2.8b8) successfully creates the custom firmware but the restore process fails with a 1600 error.
    I tried to restore to the stock iOS5 release and the restore almost kicked in, I pulled out the iPhone to avoid it getting updated with the baseband. The iPhone 4 is currently in recovery mode so I'll be restoring to 4.3.3 shortly, pending when Redsn0w gets updated with the anticipated custom firmware option.

My advice: Wait! You may screw things up badly if you get your baseband updated as both Ultrasn0w and Gevey can't unlock your iPhone 4 once it's been restored to stock iOS 5.0