Not just another SSD Thread ? Maybe.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by medi.freak, May 26, 2011.

1. medi.freak macrumors regular

So I have been reading in this forum for a while, and I like it =)
    And here is the thing. I will buy a new macbook pro this summer (when the BTS Promo is finally out) and I am still not so sure about some things. I will not start an antiglare vs. glossy thread, because these just never end, and are stupid. So here is my question. I want a SSD in my notebook. I don't even want it for speed for the most part, even though that also comes in handy. No what I like about the SSD's is that they are just stable. No worrying about carrying the notebook around, and such. I also think they are the future of drives, so I go with them. Here is the thing. I noticed that it is very cheap to order the Apple 128Gb SSD on the student discount. Especially because I am ordering from Germany over my girlfriend who lives in the US. So I would be spending around 65$ on the SSD. But when I look at SSD'S which are sold on Amazon and other places they are a LOT more expensive...So where is the difference, and am I going to notice any? Thanks for your opinion on this already. =D

2. mohsy90, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yeah, im not sure where your getting $65 dollars. The low end 13" MBP is $1199 and if you want to upgrade the 320Gb HDD to a 128Gb SSD its another $250. So where are you getting the $65? That is incredibly low.
    A 128Gb SSD averages for around $220. So to get one for $65 is impossible.

3. medi.freak thread starter macrumors regular

Well in the education store the upgrade on a 128ssd is 90$ for the "big" 15 inch model. And exchange rate does the rest...

4. amroc macrumors newbie

The $90 is the price to "upgrade" the existing HDD that comes with a macbook (like 500gb or whatever), to a 128gb SSD, so it's not indicative of the standalone price of a 128gb SSD you'd find on Amazon.

The $90 represents the price of Apple's SSD that has had the cost of an HDD deducted from it, cos you lose the HDD in order to get the SSD, that's what the upgrade means in this sense. If you got to keep the HDD and get the SSD too, *then* the price would be in line with what you get on Amazon. Well, a little more, Apple SSD's aren't cheap ;)

5. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Yup exactly what he said above. From what i can tell you are planning on purchasing the 15" 2.2 Ghz MBP. With the educational discount (-$200) it comes to $1999 with a 750 GB Drive. So as he said above you will just be paying for the difference on top of how ever much that drive is worth (the 750gb). Thats why it only comes to an extra $90.

But like i said before, when you go with the base 13" MBP with the 320gb HDD the upgrades reflect the real costs of SSD's.

6. mohsy90, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

One more thing, if you are planning on purchasing that model, defintely upgrade to the SSD. Your already paying for a 750Gb HDD and upgrade to a 128 SSD is only $90. I purchased the base model 13" macbook pro, but my upgrade wasnt worth the $250. I just purchased the macbook, bought an intel 160gb SSD from ebay for around $230. It is only a $20 price difference, but i did get a larger SSD 160Gb compared to 128Gb.

Apple gives you a bargain on 128 SSD for the 15" and 17" MBP. The 750gb drive can be bought from ebay for like $60. So for an extra $90, you get a 128 ssd for $150. Thats how i look at it. I sold my 320Gb drive taken from my 13" MBP for $50, so i paid $230-50 = $180 for my 160gb SSD. While you would pay considerably more because apple has taken into account the 750gb into the MBP retail price and trying to buy a separate would just be a stupid move and a waste of money. SO, dont hesitate to upgrade.

7. gmans46 macrumors regular

8. medi.freak thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh...that makes a lot of sense with the upgrade is SSD-HDD...well then, sounds like updating is worth it and should be done...Thanks guys ! =D