Not liking the ads

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Rsrchr123, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Rsrchr123 macrumors regular

I'm curious if it's just me or if others are disenchanted with the advertisements that pop up on all the apps nowadays. I noticed on one app, a picture of several Olive Garden dinner dishes displays for 15-20 seconds before the app loads now. On another game, I have annoying ads across the top. Very irritating. It substantially degrades the experience from what it was when I first got my phone. At least on apps like Pandora, you can close the ads (though they come back later on).

When the 3G came out, I find it hard to believe that app developers "knew" that an option to do extensive ads would eventually appear. So they developed free apps for a variety of reasons. Now, the ad program allows them to make up for lost time...at the expense of degrading the experience.

Case in point? The app "Paper Toss" - my favorite time killer. The Wrigley's ad at the top that shows what appears to be a zoomed in view of some guy's lips? What a joke. And, disgusting.

I'd rather pay something for my apps than to deal with this. It's just greed. If you want to recoup costs, charge for the app. If that means fewer apps, then so be it - there's a lot of junk apps anyways. When I watch TV shows online, some have no ads. Other shows may have an ad at the beginning or a short ad at a few points within the show. No problem with that. But it's not as if the ad is constantly present at the bottom of the screen while I'm watching my show. Similarly, when I buy a season of a show on DVD, I'm not forced to watch commercials (though, I have deviously wondered how funny it would be if a small batch of seasons were released on DVD with commercials, but I digress...)

I fail to see how this is an "evolution" of the product. Je déteste les annonces!

2. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

That's why majority of my apps are paid apps. The majority of developers/companies are in it for money, so they either have a lite app, a full version of their app with ads, or a paid version. I personally prefer the paid versions, as I don't mind paying for something I'll get good use out of.

What's worse is when paid apps have ads. I've only seen 2 like that. One of them is Tap Tap Revenge 3; it's absolutely loaded with ads. It loads up with an annoying ad, there are always ads to buy their DLC, it really gets annoying. I was so annoyed that I sent them an email about how annoying their ads were.