Not liking the updated Textwrangler 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Scott6666, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Is anyone else out there not liking the new Text Wrangler, Version 3?

I'm really annoyed they neutered the find/replace box. Used to be you could hold down the command key and toggle all the checkboxes in the dialog using letter clicks. It also had an option to search from the top (rather than at the current cursor). Both are gone. The new find is useless.

Anyone know if the new find has options to be like the old find? For now, I've gone back to version 2.3. Happy again.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

In the preferences go to the "Text Search" item on the left. Make sure "Use modal Find dialog" is checked. It's the same in BBEdit. I guess they wanted the default to be less cluttered. You shouldn't give up so quickly.

3. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Happiness returns!

Thanks so much for the tip. Don't know how you found it unless you religiously peruse the preferences of new versions.

I did send a note to the support email of BareBones and then I posted here. You fixed my problem and they have yet to get back to me. That's why I love this place.

To be fair, Textwrangler is free so I don't begrudge them that they did not respond in a 5 hour window like you did.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, I've been using their products for a few years and use them daily. Finding that setting wasn't too hard, I mean it was in the "text search" section. I mostly use BBEdit as I get it free through work, but find TextWrangler very capable too. I've sent BareBones a trouble ticket once for a bug like issue and they did get back to me reasonably quick, but don't think they have a huge support team for responses. Glad I was able to help.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've used and bought BBedit but it seems everytime I use it, I cringe. I much prefer using textmate. My only concern with that is, it will turn into abandonware. The author promised a version 2 3 years ago and nothing has materialized. I'm holding off paying 60 bucks when I have no guarantee that it will be supported down the road.

My favorite PC text editor - ultraedit looks like is coming to OSX. They're wrapping up the linux version this month and have mentioned that OSX one will follow (hopefully quickly)