Not looking back...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by moral-hazard, Aug 11, 2009.

1. moral-hazard macrumors regular

Now don't get me wrong - I'm not your typical windows-bashing mac guy. I really loved using XP and was a power user on XP Pro for years. I still use it for a few programs I use. But I just switched to mac.

I've still got my old Sony laptop sitting around. When I got the thing, it had Vista Business on it. I used it for a month, but liked XP better and ultimately did a dual boot. Eventually, I just wiped it (having made a "Windows Image Backup" of Vista as it came on the computer so I could restore it when I needed to sell). The original hard disk crashed at one point, so the recovery partition is long gone.

Fast forward to today, when I've been trying to restore to Vista and sell the Sony (for over two weeks). I have TWO separate backups of the original vista install. But MS has their stuff locked down so much that you cannot restore your computer from a windows backup unless the original operating system installation is still in place. The best part is that Windows PC's RARELY have recovery media anymore, and Sony wants $30.00 for recovery CD's when I'm only selling the computer for about $400. Yeah, right.

Think about how much sense this makes (same idea with recovery partitions). If your original disk crashes, you can't use the restore partition AND your OS is gone AND you can't use your backup to get it back. The kind of crap M$ is pulling these days makes me glad I made the switch.

2. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Honestly at that point I would just take the route of downloading the Vista from a torrent.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Having a recovery partition is pretty stupid. One of the main reasons you would ever need to recover your PC is because of hard drive failure!

4. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

I've looked into finding .ISO's of the sony OEM restore discs but haven't had any luck with it. I don't want to do a cracked install, I just want to install with the original Sony Vista Business OEMACT serial no. It's not fair to sell the computer on eBay to someone with cracked software on it. I'll keep looking though....

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I don't think this is garbage pulled by MS either. More like the OEM being too cheap to include a $0.25 DVD.

Though I would not usually recommend this. You are just downloading software you own a license to. Too bad in cases like this we can not point you towards the correct links.

6. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

I think i *finally* tricked that restore into working. We'll see how it goes.
    I'm sort of thinking of keeping this sony, but at the same time I could probably get 400-500 on eBay - enough to buy that mac mini I want as a media center and FTP server (looking to buy a 1080P HDTV)

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You should research this first. You would be surprised how little used Windows laptops are worth. Especially if they are over 2 years old.

8. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

Believe it or not, the last windows laptop I sold on eBay I got more than I paid for. I am increasingly (pleasantly) surprised by the high prices people will pay for things on eBay.

But yeah, I know i'm not gonna get nearly what I paid for it. I looked up prices on the sony SZ I have though. It's basically the windows equivalent of the 13" macbook pro - slightly older core 2 chip though. 2.0GHz C2D, 120GB seagate disk, dual graphics cards (intel GMA, nvidia geforce go 7400), 4.1 lbs total. I also have a dock for it, two batteries, and two power adaptors. It should go for $350+ at the very least.

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

Is there a utility on there to create physical restore disks? I only ask because I know that a lot of HP/Dell computers with a restore partition also have a utility to create restore media.

Also, if you had access to a Vista DVD, you can definitely use the Vista Business serial number to install Vista Business. I have a computer from work that had XP on it, but originally shipped with Vista Business. I popped in my Vista Ultimate DVD and put in my Vista Business Serial Number. Worked just fine. I ended up upgrading that to Vista Ultimate later though. Every Vista DVD has files for all of the different versions, your Serial Number just unlocks the version you bought and installs that version.

10. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

It looks like everything restored successfully using the image i made.
    And yes, it did come with the option to make restore disks, but it wouldnt let me use the restore disks once the original vista partition was lost (which is totally stupid). Anyways, It's ready to sell now :)

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Every Dell I have purchased since 1998 has come with physical media as well as a partion restore.

How is it MS's fault for OEMs not providing a physical disk?

12. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

If you go down this route don't look for a specific brand of install discs just find a non-cracked version of Vista and just run install without using a key, though windows will bug you to put in a key after 30 days (or 90 if you reset it, just open up a command window and typing in "slmgr -rearm" and restart, thats all and it resets it for another 30 days). If you want help finding a torrent PM me, since you already own a license for a software I don't see anything wrong with this at all really.

13. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

Not necessary - thank god I found an alternative to the torrent route w/ that WindowsImageBackup utility. Thanks for the offer though.

14. Emmanuel macrumors newbie

That's the sad thing about PC OEMs, they just don't like to include an OS disc anymore.

At least my new PC comes with a disc. But that's becoming a rarity.

They try to stop the pirates by screwing around with the honest people. The pirates will continue to pirate. That's just life I guess.... :(

15. jdechko macrumors 68040

I never said it was Microsoft's fault. That responsibility should fall squarely on the shoulders of the OEM. After all, the OEM license comes with zero support from Microsoft.

Anyway, I've had recent Dells that haven't come with restoration media, and I've seen HP, Sony, and other OEM PC's (PowerSpec, for instance) that haven't had the restore media. At least with Dell, I had the option to order the Media on their website. That was nice. It should be standard for all computers to come with restoration media. It costs practically nothing to press and ship the disks. But having to take up space on the hard drive that you ordered is bigger BS.

16. moral-hazard thread starter macrumors regular

The moral of the story hear is clear. If you buy a windows computer

a.) Delete all the crapware that comes on it (AOL trial, REALLY?!)
    b.) Get your settings the way you want
    c.) Make a complete drive image
    d.) Put it in a box under your bed and hope you fall ass backwards into said box when you are trying to sell the computer.

17. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Sorry I misread understood the red highlights.

I know some windows readers are reading this so here goes. If you by a Dell NEVER EVER opt for the extra $ for physical media. As soon as you get the computer simply call Dell and ask for it. You actually pay for a disk, you pay fo windows and its license, simply ask them what happens if the hard drive fails after the warranty expires.
    Sony is by far the worst to deal with.
    HP will charge you shipping (in most cases)

18. jdechko macrumors 68040

Ah, I thought you were replying to me. No worries. :)

But I agree with what you said about Dell. No recent experience with Sony or HP, though. But one experience I had with a Dell was horrible. This machine had the restore partition, but that was going to do a total restore of the system, and I just needed the CD/DVD burning software that originally came with the machine. It ended up that Dell had used the Windows restore points as a way to restore individual programs. My issue was that I'd been using the computer for several months. Getting it back into shape was a nightmare.

Maybe it's a sneaky way to charge for tech support. User experiences major failure and can't figure out how to restore so they call tech support. :D