Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Picked up a bumper figuring that I can just request a refund from Apple once they announce their plans. I'm not loving it. It's causing my screen protector to lift, makes the phone feel a little wider and it a little tough to reach the vibrate switch. I hope they offer some decent cases instead. I like having the back 'open' as I think that is one of the cool 'features' of the phone. Maybe i'll just go naked with screen protectors on

If not, i'm going back to the iFrogz that I picked up at Best Buy.

Anyone else not like the bumper?

ludawg23

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Picked up a bumper figuring that I can just request a refund from Apple once they announce their plans. I'm not loving it. It's causing my screen protector to lift, makes the phone feel a little wider and it a little tough to reach the vibrate switch. I hope they offer some decent cases instead. I like having the back 'open' as I think that is one of the cool 'features' of the phone. Maybe i'll just go naked with screen protectors on

If not, i'm going back to the iFrogz that I picked up at Best Buy.

Anyone else not like the bumper?

I'm not a fan either. Had my white bumper on for one day and took it off. My biggest gripe is that it also lifts my screen protectors...

I picked up an Ivyskin Reception 4 Case, should be here this week...

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
i don't like that i can't use any of my accessories :mad:

I hear ya. As a FOH operator it gets to be pretty frustrating when I can't plug a common consumer adapter, like an 1/8" - whatever, into my iPhone. As soon as more reviews and cases start to surface, I'll be ditching it.

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
What screen protectors are you guys using? I am worried about this when I get a bumper.

chanerz

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2010
was using IS and it peeled off, now i have sgp and bumper with no problems.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
That was my biggest gripe before I sold mine. I had a few aftermarket chargers and none of them would fit with the bumper so it had to go.

Just checked my car charger, guess that's strike 3 against the bumper. I'll order something from apple and just return the bumper to the store.

zelaya

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I'm currently using the SGP Ultra clear for back and front and I don't have any issues with my bumpers as I change them once a week when I get bored of the color. Having said that I'm waiting for power support to order mines.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I have an SGP Oleophobic on the front and Bodyguardz on the back and I'm scared to put my bumper on (this is a replacement phone). I had Bodyguardz front and back on my first iphone 4 and the bumper definitely caused the protector to lift up. Looking for a new case now because I don't know if I can wait for Seidio to get their act together and come out with the Innocase for the 4.

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
I'm going to go with invisible shield on my iPhone when it comes in. It resolves the signal issue as well

Fisticuffs2065

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
The bumper causes my screen protector to be lifted up as well -_-

I wonder if the bumper will cause the power support films to be lifted.. oh well, we shall see when they come out!

Bootsie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2008
Utah
If the bumper is not working with your screen protector could you please say what kind it is...

I am trying to find a confirmation that the bumper is going to work with my SGP OP front and Phantomskinz back. I seem to keep getting conflicting info haha.

Thanks! :)

mikey28

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
my bumper is working fine with my screen protector. I have a front and a back protector (the static cling kind) I got it SUPER cheap off eBay (I am going to get more for backups. I always buy power support: But these feels the same, and I really wanted a back cover.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
I left the bumper at home and am going 'naked' today. with only the BSE on front and back. They didn't lift off too bad, i think i caught it in time. Ordered the SGP OP last night.

going to return the bumper and try something else, or maybe nothing at all.

Zandian

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2006
I don't like that it doesn't fit solid on the phone. I think it is rediculous that you can't plug in pretty common accessories. I think they needed to make it more ridgid and find a way to attach it like the Seidio Innocase slider. Making it flexible to slide over the front of the phone results in too much play. This is also why I don't like silicone cases.

My requirements:

1) Fits tight
2) Has enough tackiness not to slip in your hand, but not too much so it sticks in your pocket
3) Minimal added weight and size
4) Leaves as much front real estate as possible
5) Not too many open areas so that too much dust can get under the case and in the phone.
6) Protection from impacts, falls.

In the past, for my 3Gs the Innocase II fit all these requirements for me and I liked it alot. Could have been a bit thinner, but it was pretty good.

Z

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
i don't like that i can't use any of my accessories :mad:

True, that.

I have a pink bumper still unpacked in the original box just BEGGING to be used - but since I'm not a dremel carving artist to make it work with my accessories I'm still undecided and just using a case mate which is compatible with my accessories and protects the back.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Bumper wraps nicely around my Zagg. It protects the skin from lifting because the lip overlaps the skin. No dust or dirt buildup on skin edges because they don't show. User errors on the others?

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Bumper wraps nicely around my Zagg. It protects the skin from lifting because the lip overlaps the skin. No dust or dirt buildup on skin edges because they don't show. User errors on the others?

Too many having the problem to be user error, IMO

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Too many having the problem to be user error, IMO

Pretty tough for there to be user error with something so simple too. It's not like there are multiple ways of putting it on. As long as it's on, the buttons are where they are supposed to be and none of the rubber edges are folded under, there's nothing else to it. Bottom line is that the rubber edges probably cause way too much friction with a lot of different screen protectors and that's why they're being lifted up in some spots.

spades1412

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2009
I picked up a black one and returned it the next day. I didn't care for how lose it felt around the phone.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I'm not happy with my bumper either. Just not safe at all on the phone... I'm just waiting for the other options from otterbox. Soon....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.