Not Mac... Did anything ever come of it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacAodh, Sep 20, 2008.

1. MacAodh macrumors regular

Hi all,
    I remember about a year ago there was a not mac competition. This was to provide an alternative to .mac (now mobile me) and it was won too. www.notmacchallenge.com if you didn't see it.

The question is though, did anyone ever make use of the programing that went on and actually make a product that could be sold? I'd be very interested in an integrated backup solution over the net. (now that I've just lost all my photos... gurr)

2. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

The last I heard of it (which was quite a while ago) was that a version for Mac OS X Server had been released, source code and all. There were plans for a port to generic linux/bsd-based servers, but given that the forums haven't had any activity for months, I think it's safe to say that everyone lost interest. Perhaps this was due to .mac/mobileme starting to offer more of the iLife integration stuff (photo/movie galleries, etc). I think the notmac effort was waged when .mac was just a glorified webdav remote disk and backup. Certainly a lot more work would have to be done to duplicate the new mobileme stuff, which really isn't needed given competition from Google et al on the web app front. So, that's basically a long-winded way of saying that unless you have a spare Mac and a copy of OS X Server, notmac won't be of much consequence.

Since you were looking at this for web-based backup though, have you considered Amazon's S3 service? There are apps out there (JungleDisk comes to mind) that gives a degree of integration with the Mac. I haven't used S3 myself, but there are plenty of positive reviews from what I've read.

3. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, I got the feeling of intrest lost too. Pitty though. What I really was hoping was that someone had managed to hook up that service with gmail or something to have free storage... A well

4. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Well I believe that with the MacFUSE port... you can do something along the lines of use your Gmail space as a webdisk. I'm not really sure how it works, though there's probably some info to be found online.

5. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular