Not Only will IP4 and the ITouch 4 have FaceTime.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bruceleroy, Aug 22, 2010.

1. bruceleroy macrumors member

bruceleroy

I think the new apple tv will be FaceTime enabled as well. Running ios 4 why not.for all the people that thought FaceTime was worthless I predict it will soon become the industry standard.

2. ohaithar macrumors 6502a

ohaithar

3. aneftp macrumors 601

And Apple TV will not have FaceTime.

Unless you mean iPod Touch fourth generation. Which is pretty much a given to have face time. I doubt the new rebranded apple tv (whatever they choose to call it) will have face time.

4. Doju macrumors 68000

You know the iTV is a box, right? The TV would need a webcam, or a separate one.

5. bruceleroy thread starter macrumors member

bruceleroy

Think about it it's already been said that FaceTime will be an app on the iPod touch and calls will be made with email. It's also been said that the new apple tv will basically be a iPhone4 without the screen. Jobs also said there will millions of FaceTime devices shipped this year. I'm not saying it's definite but I think it's a possibility. You know apple loves to sell accessories with new products so why not an apple tv with a web cam as the accessory.

6. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

You're predicting much that "FaceTime" will become an industry standard, Apple has already publicly stated they've offered the codec (or what officially called) to the standards board to help make it a standard. It does use a mashup of standards already. The more products by Apple that use it and sales continue to grow with stats showing many of us using it the BETTER chance that other companies - starting with software companies (Skype, Qik, MSN/AIM/etc) - will implement it; and not just for Apple products.

As higher resolution camera's offer HD video conferencing and smaller hardware with quality video over WLAN/LAN/HSPA/4G ... then the possibilities that HUGE entrenched companies like Polycom will implement a connection with FaceTime; though that'll take years to that part.

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

hasn't the iPhone 4 already sold millions?

millions of facetime devices have already shipped
    he could have just been stating lofty iPhone sales goals

8. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Back on topic, I do hope FaceTime appears on more devices. iPod Touch would be a good start, iPad 2nd Gen hopefully. Then they need to do a crossover to the Mac platform. It really will take off then.

9. shandyman Suspended

it does need to crossover to more devices for it to really take off, not just ipod touches and ipads, but to mac and pc, somehow make it compatible with msn/yahoo/aim, etc.

on a side note, are any of the messenger apps on the iphone able to do video on them? or are intending to? hoping skype will and that an msn compatible messenger one will do too, thats all i want at the mo and i'm perfectly happy with my iphone 4

10. iRance macrumors regular

How would the new Apple TV support Facetime?
    It's a box that you hook up to a TV.

11. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Could come with a camera to put on the top of the TV? Like PlayStation Eye. Doubt it but you never know!

12. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

he said tens of millions, not millions so there is still a possibility, and i dont think apple tv will get it, because then apple will have to make another external isight camera. i think it would be a cool feature but i dont think apple will make a new camera for it, unless its a cheap one that comes with the apple tv but it probably would be be more than the rumored $100. plus people will start to complain on how crappy quality the camera has :D

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I also kind of doubt the Apple TV getting facetime - there just isn't a very large market for the Apple TV, and the point of facetime is the abillity to do video chats on the go on a convenient device. IMO a TV doesn't fit this description. A computer is bad enough as it is. A phone or iPod touch is the perfect device for video chats. iPad would be good too IMO.