Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rambam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
planet earth
I am facing a weird problem for some time. I cannot open zip, iso or rar files on Mountain lion. I have tried every unrar or unzip tool on the market. The strange thing is, that I have opened these files and installed the apps before on Snow Leopard. Now I am receiving massages like "unable to open this file" etc. Is this connected to recent ML security updates?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I am facing a weird problem for some time. I cannot open zip, iso or rar files on Mountain lion. I have tried every unrar or unzip tool on the market. The strange thing is, that I have opened these files and installed the apps before on Snow Leopard. Now I am receiving massages like "unable to open this file" etc. Is this connected to recent ML security updates?
I am using the archiving utility that came with OS X and The Unarchiver to handle files that aren't handled by default in OS X.

I suggest that you make sure you are using current versions of those utilities. If updating them doesn't work, you may want to uninstall all of them and install one at a time to see which one is breaking things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.