Not optimistic about flash support

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bogman12, Oct 26, 2007.

1. bogman12 macrumors regular

Okay this is just my opinion.. flash is a very graphic and computationally intensive file format.. my MacBook CPU usage shoots straight up whenever it comes across even simple flash based websites..

The CPU/grafix in the Ipod Touch doesn't give me the impression that it is very powerful. Simple test: scroll thru a song list in the iTunes store and the graphic fps suffers horribly. I'm assuming this is due in part to the operation maxing out the computational power of the Touch..

Sure, they can implement Flash support, the Turing Machine proves this, but will it be usable?

2. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

You don't think it's powerful? Out of all the handheld devices I've seen, this is by far the fastest and most responsive. Heck, I just got SonyEricsson's 'flagship' phone P1i yesterday (we don't have the iPhone in Europe yet), and it's so horribly slow you can go out to lunch between screen updates... I think the Touch would be able to handle certain Flash content, but if you're thinking this sort of thing http://www.propellerheads.se/index.cfm?fuseaction=trailer_pop which can barely be handled by a quadcore Mac Pro without skipping frames, then yeah I guess the Touch doesn't have the juice for it.

3. bogman12 thread starter macrumors regular

Sure.. it's powerful for a mobile device but that doesn't mean it's powerful enough for flash content..

4. criticalmiracle macrumors newbie

criticalmiracle

Sure it is. My old T-Mo MDA (QTEK 9100) ran flash content fine on it's crappy Windows Mobile platform. I have every confidence that I will soon be watching Strong Bad answer emails on my touch.

5. brettanderson macrumors member

That reason trailer played perfectly on my SRMBP and the CPU usage was barely 30%. I doubt a Mac Pro would have problems with it.

6. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Just tried it on my MP, and watched the Activity monitor. I had no idea Flash used so much processor!

Firefox spiked at 52.8%, but hung around 20-30. 30 out of 400..... I think I can handle it :)

7. bogman12 thread starter macrumors regular