Not picking up 3g anymore, only Edge....

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hondje, Nov 16, 2009.

1. hondje macrumors member

I have had my iPhone 3g for over a year. Last year AT&T updated the network to 3g, at which point I always had 3g throughout town. In the last several months, I have noticed that my phone will not pickup the prevalent 3g network in my city. I am always on Edge. I will compare my phone to my wife's 3GS and she is always on 3g. I have tried rebooting my phone, and even a clean restore, each time with no luck. Occasionally I am on 3g, but it does not last, while of course, her phone does. Do you think my network chip could be going bad? I no longer have Applecare...

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Try calling AT&T and file a service repair request.

3. PhxBlue macrumors regular

PhxBlue

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. Take it to an Apple store and have em run a diagnostic check on it.

4. nehunte macrumors 6502

nehunte

It always sounds like a hardware issue, but could be a network issue. I've seen where the network targets a particular phone for one reason or another. My first step would be to get a new SIM card. After that, then I would call AT&T and have them look into it. After that, get the phone swapped out.

Have you tried swapping SIM cards with your wife? Does her SIM card do the same thing in your phone, or does your SIM card do the same thing in her phone? That would be useful information in helping you limit your possible issues.

5. Mercer macrumors member

Mercer

Do they have such a device in store to check your iphone as i have similar issues with 3G and Edge