Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, Apple unveiled the all-new MacBook Air, which features a larger 15.3-inch Liquid Retina display, the M2 processor, and is priced starting at $1,299.00. As always happens when a new product generation is announced, today we're tracking solid all-time low prices on the previous-generation M1 MacBook Air.

m1-macbook-air-pink.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Those not interested in the latest and largest MacBook Air model can get the 256GB 13-inch MacBook Air for $799.99, down from $999.00. This model debuted in late 2020 and features the M1 chip, and Amazon has all three colors on sale at this record low price.

This older model is still a solid computer with an 8-core CPU, 7-core GPU, up to 18 hours of battery life, and Touch ID. If you're okay with owning a slightly outdated model, this is a great deal on the M1 MacBook Air. We aren't currently seeing any deals on the 13.6-inch M2 MacBook Air from 2022 right now.

Head to our full Deals Roundup to get caught up with all of the latest deals and discounts that we've been tracking over the past week.

Article Link: Not Planning to Get the New 15-Inch MacBook Air? Amazon Has the M1 Model for $799.99 Right Now

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
What’s crazy is that these M1 machines are STILL fantastic. I have a few in my house and I have no need to upgrade at all. To think you can get a new laptop for $800, or a used one in decent condition for more towards $500, is incredible.

And go with the Mac Mini and it’s an even better deal. Crazy how good these M-series chips hold up.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
As always happens when a new product generation is announced, today we're tracking solid all-time low prices on the previous-generation M1 MacBook Air.

This older model is still a solid computer with an 8-core CPU, 7-core GPU, up to 18 hours of battery life, and Touch ID. If you're okay with owning a slightly outdated model, this is a great deal on the M1 MacBook Air.
🤣

It's $749 ($899.00 - $150 Apple Gift Card) from Apple Education store.

Spend the extra $130 vs buying it from Amazon for $799 to upgrade the memory to 16GB

Last edited:

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
With all the things that this machine can do, that's a hell of a price. Any Intel holdout who uses their machine for general purpose computing (not some crazy high RAM PS or 8K video etc.) would be well served with this. It runs circles around the 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7 that was my daily driver before Apple silicon - and that machine had 16GB ram!

They're also holding their values on the used market, so if you take care of the thing, you could run it for a year or two and sell it for a decent price.

reybart

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
NYC
I don't know , but this is still my favorite design because it is what it makes an air, its identity. I think i have to consider this, anyway it's an M already.

Reactions: BanjoDudeAhoy

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
With all the things that this machine can do, that's a hell of a price. Any Intel holdout who uses their machine for general purpose computing (not some crazy high RAM PS or 8K video etc.) would be well served with this. It runs circles around the 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7 that was my daily driver before Apple silicon - and that machine had 16GB ram!

They're also holding their values on the used market, so if you take care of the thing, you could run it for a year or two and sell it for a decent price.
Biggest amazement factor for me was being able to use my laptop on the couch without getting overheated just browsing the web. Makes me use my MBP FAR more than I ever have. You're absolutely right about the computing power.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Anyone know when the back-to-school promotion ends? (The one with the gift card)?

Qualified Purchasers receive an Apple Gift Card when they purchase an eligible Mac or iPad at a Qualifying Location through 10/2/2023

• Love
Reactions: VietKinh

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
What’s crazy is that these M1 machines are STILL fantastic. I have a few in my house and I have no need to upgrade at all. To think you can get a new laptop for $800, or a used one in decent condition for more towards $500, is incredible.

And go with the Mac Mini and it’s an even better deal. Crazy how good these M-series chips hold up.
I’m assuming at this point that the M1s are the hardware equivalent of an LTS release. They were solid, fantastic, finally sold to a sea of pent up demand, and are still being sold and solid AF. I’d bet they’re supported till at least 2028, on par with the 2012 era MBPs, and probably still a damn good buy today

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Am I the only one waiting for a lower price? It’s been this price for at least 8 months

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
I bought the 15 inch Air. I really considered the M1 Air, but I wanted 16GB of memory. While you can find M1 Airs with 16GB, they aren’t as good of a price as you might think. Anyway, I prefer the newer design with M2, and I decided in the end to go with a larger screen. A 6 speaker system and the slightly better GPU in the 15 inch is a definitely bonus. I was very, very close to buying a 14 inch MBP but it’s just more than I want to spend right now. The MBA is essentially a supplemental computer since I have an M1 mini that’s been fantastic, and I expect the M2 Air to work pretty well for what I need.

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
I have a question for you all🙂
Living in Sweden and we sometimes have a pricedrop from 1200 USD to 1000 USD.
Is it worth to buy a Air M1 for 1000 USD in 2023?

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

Yeah, I'm pretty shocked at how well my base model M1 Air is getting on. I push it way harder than I'd ever intended to when I bought (use case changed) and it really never lets me down. And because the battery life is so good, I often don't even bother bringing the charger if it's even half charged.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
I bought one for that price 2 years ago in a tax free state from Best Buy.

Score!

You could literally sell it today and get close to what you paid for it. That's some low cost computing right there!

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
Lots of power for $800 U.S. Hope our European friends are finding a similar deal.
We’ve had them at around €850 for a while which is as good as it gets. That price from other retailers made many people around me switch to Mac with exactly the M1 Air and they love the value for money. From Apple it’s €1199 (~$1300 at current rate) which is way too much but nobody’s buying these from them. Nobody’s buying the Pros either really but they haven’t been getting such discounts.

The situation is the opposite regarding iPhones. I live in the capital so you usually see the latest iPhone a lot in the wild but not this year. Especially since some retailers have discounts on the 13 which is the same phone as the 14 to the chip yet the price difference is big.

Reactions: MacLawyer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.