Not possible to power off watch while charging?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rolexwatch, Apr 26, 2015.

1. rolexwatch macrumors regular

Has anyone managed to power off the watch while it's charging? The slide to power off function is just not reactive when I try to swipe right. It would be really strange, if this is intended by design. I don't need the watch at all while charging and turning it off should accelerate the charging process.

2. shenfrey macrumors 68000

3. p1ally macrumors regular

p1ally

You can't do this with the iPhone either. You could put it in airplane mode if you want to charge faster though.

4. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

um i do it every night

5. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

I do it with my 6+ all the time. You have to turn it off while it's connected

6. rolexwatch thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly..It charges way faster this way. I also power off my iPads everytime. I can't understand why it shouldn't be possible for the watch.

7. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

May not be possible with the AW, but I'm also not seeing the point in either case (iPhone or watch). You have all night. Why turn things off? Seriously interested in a good reason for the idea!

8. rolexwatch thread starter macrumors regular

When I charge it during day, I don't have all night. My iPad charges like 30min faster from 0 to 100% when it is turned off. It would definitely have impact for the AW charging times too. I usually don't turn off my iPhone for obvious reasons, but like the iPad I don't need the watch while it's being charged.

9. Ahaggith macrumors newbie

Here is a good reason as to why I would like to turn my Apple Watch off while charging. When the watch is on it will beep for text notifications instead of my iPhone and the Apple Watch is not loud enough to wake me up at night. Note: I have all notifications turned off except texts as I do not use the do not disturb feature because it blocks text notifications. Side bar: Apple should allow an option for text notifications to get past the do not disturb feature for those of us that need it.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The reason the :apple:Watch takes longer to charge is because it uses inductive charging.

11. Ahaggith macrumors newbie

Inductive charging does not require the device to be on.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Rereading my own post I fail to see were I said or even implied that.:D

13. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

If you aren't wearing the watch notifications will be directed to your phone.

14. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68000

LoveToMacRumors

I rarely charge my device powered off. Its always good to know when you hit that 100% and you can take it off the charger and then you turn it off

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's not even a valid reason as texts should go to the iPhone when you're not wearing the AW.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Maybe the watch is different and has to be on to monitor the charging process where the phones has a separate charging monitor.