Not pre-ordering or queuing... What's my chances of getting a 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by londoner888, Jun 13, 2010.

1. londoner888 macrumors regular

londoner888

Ok because I'm looking to buy an iPhone 4 on O2 PAYG so that it can be unlocked and used on my current T-Mob Sim I probably won't be pre-ordering on the 15th.

Not sure about camping outside a store for the night either.

So what are my chances of getting my hands on one if I turn up later in the day on release, or even the day after?

ie. On release of 3G and 3GS... did stores tend to go out of stock?
    I'm planning to hit the big stores... Oxford Street, Westfield, Bluewater or Lakeside.

2. amann76 macrumors 6502

amann76

probably 0% but anything can happen.

also it would depend on where you live. you chances are greater the farther away from population you live.

3. londoner888 thread starter macrumors regular

londoner888

Really!! So looks like I might have to queue up if I want one.

So once out of stock, when do they tend to get the next batch of iphones in?

A week? two weeks? Sorry if this sounds a dumbass question...

4. cowsrus macrumors 6502

the reason people camp out for up to a day is because they do go out of stock
    why would somebody wait outside a store for hours when they could just sleep in and stroll in the store in the afternoon and pick one up?

you have maybe a 5% chance if you live in amish country

5. londoner888 thread starter macrumors regular

londoner888

True, I guess I just naively thought they wanted to experience the atmosphere and the release of the phone upon the store opening lol

So... once out of stock... when would the next batch likely to reach stores as I guess I'll have to wait then :(

6. JoeCo0611 macrumors member

This is back when I bought the 3G in 2008.

I'm in the Chicago area, and when the supply sold out on the 2nd day in 2008, it took about a week for the stores in the area to be resupplied.

What I do remember is the Carrier Stores and the Apple Stores taking names and numbers ("rain checks") and notifying you when new stock had arrived.

The good news now is that the iPhone will be released in more stores than before, so if you don't wait in line or pre-order, you may yet see yourself with a new iPhone by the end of that launch weekend.

7. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

In New York my store gets a batch once a day idk about overseas though.

8. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

9. Bakakage macrumors 6502

I highly doubt Apple will run out of them, I went to apple store on launch day at around 3pm for the 3GS without reserving/preordering and there was a short line. They didn't seem to be running out and they had every model available. This was in Pasadena, California and it was a very popular apple store. No AT&Ts or Best Buys around me had any in stock though.

10. jloyd macrumors newbie

Yeah my friend did the same. He turned up after work at 5pm on release day of the 3GS and said there was only a short queue, and there were still quite a few left.

But I'm thinking that the 3GS wasn't as such a new handset but an update of the 3G which alot probably didn't upgrade to, hence less demand.

But I reckon the 4 will be different.

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

What's the point of pre-ordering/reserving it then?

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It depends on where you go.

I went to the Apple store at 5 PM on release day of the 3G and I got one. (I had to wait 3 hours, but that's another story.) As I recall, they didn't fully run out for another 2 or 3 days.

But it depends on where you are, some Apple stores are bigger than others. The one I go to was the first store that Apple ever opened. It's a bit bigger than many and they're quite proud of it. I'm guessing they got more phones than other locations.

But it's not impossible, is all I'm saying.

13. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Preordering basically guarantees you one on launch day, barring anything unforeseen happening. You don't have to show up before store opening if you don't want to; it'll be there under your name later in the day. Or, for that matter, you can have it delivered to your house and not have to go anywhere at all.

14. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

It's not but either way u will Be on a line. I got my 3gs two weeks after release last year at a apple store and I have to wait about a hour on line!! Still. And mind you this was after every AT&T store was out and I had cancelled a order off AT&Ts website..

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That was my point.

16. Hovey macrumors regular

via my Apple store manager friend.......

There is about a 1% chance that any Apple store runs out of the new iPhone.

Stores like ATT, Walmart, Radio Shack or Best Buy will most likely run out of the iPhone. His store has never ran out of a new product since the original iPhone release.

Now if they have the color and/or model you want is another thing.

17. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I don't think pre-ordering or waiting in line at the ass crack of dawn are going to be necessary.

Apple Store, Wal-Mart, Best Buy and AT&T will be selling this phone. I highly doubt they will all sell out on day one, maybe by day two but even the 3G was readily available at my local Apple Store the evening of release, as was the 3GS.