Not printing in color through Airport Express. I'm stumped!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Apple!Fre@k, May 30, 2009.

1. Apple!Fre@k macrumors 6502a

I just hooked up my Samsung CLP-600 Color Laser Printer to the Airport Express in the other room, configured everything so my Airport Extreme was talking to it and I made a connection, and I print. It works, great! Problem is, for some very strange reason, it only prints in black & white. I don't even know how that's possible!

The file is in color. It's a Pages doc. I even exported to a PDF and tried printing from that. Same thing -- no color.

I'm sure the printer has color ink because I just told it to print a demo page and it prints it in beautiful color.

Any ideas?

2. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Are you sure you have the correct printer driver installed - the default one might be old. Also, if you go through all the print options prior to printing, are you sure that, in "Quality and Media", Greyscale Printing isn't turned on?

4. wraithlabs macrumors newbie

I had a similar issue:

I had a Samsung CLP-300 that was hooked up to a mac mini via usb and shared over the local network.
    If I printed a color document in MS Word from the mac mini to the printer, it came out in color.
    If I printed a color document in MS Word from a windows laptop that was connecting to the shared printer on the mac mini via bonjour, it came out in color.
    However, if I printed a color document in MS Word from my MBP to the shared printer on the mac mini, it would only come out in monochrome.

After fighting with it for a while I choose to get a new CLP-315. To my dismay, this did not solve the issue.

I had called Samsung support, and after explaining the situation a number of times to a number of people. I was told that at this time they don't support printing in color on OSX. This, I assumed, was incorrect and simply a method of getting me off the phone. So, I gave up with seeking their help and continued on my own.

Eventually I figured out that when on the MBP and printing, when the print dialoge comes up, if you choose to create a new "custom profile" and use the subsequent drop downs, you can set it to print in color rather than monochrome (which for some reason it defaults to). I would give you screenshots of this, but I am not with the notebook at the moment. Let me know if you require them.

I have found that this solution is tiresome and although I have tried saving the custom profile, it seems to always reset back to monochrome anyway. So basically, its a PITA and Samsung could care less. Hopefully this will help you out.

5. Apple!Fre@k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmmm... thanks for posting but mine actually shows color under the print options. I specifically checked that when I saw it coming out in black and white. So it's not defaulting to monochrome. My computer is directing the printer to print in color but out black & white it comes.

I had to print a proposal today and the only way I could get it in color was lifting the big heavy ass printer up (about 70 lbs) and planting it back in my room to temporary plug it in directly to my iMac. Doing that, it prints in color perfectly. But connected to the Airport Express in the other room, black and white only.

Still have this problem. Grrrr....

6. wraithlabs macrumors newbie

One recent thing that I have been doing to get the printer to print in color is to specify not only that the output be in color, but the quality level to be "best". For some reason, when the quality level is set to "normal" or "low" the color option becomes grayed out.