Not Really Sure How To Name This Question?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Monergy, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Monergy macrumors newbie

I'm hoping that someone can point me in a direction to solve this question.
    This is in regards to a proximity marketing device.

So I ran into a situation that I'm not sure how to solve. The device I'm using allows you to load content onto it, this can be coupons, offers, what ever you want. When a viewer comes with in a certain distance of the device it pushes the offer out to that viewers phone (iPhone, Blackberry....).

Now my question is the page that is being pushed out is a static page. I would like to link icons to pages on the net (Like a facebook page). The device can be hooked up to a network but does not allow a "pass through" signal. Meaning the device is not actually tied into the internet.

Does anyone know if there is a code that we can use that will use the browser of the phone rather then linking back to the device to allow a link to be included in the pushed content?

2. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

The question I have is about how you're forcing content to be pushed to the user's device.

In any case, a standard URL ought to work, assuming that your user's device isn't connected via WiFi to your weird marketing product, the device ought to see the URL, and when clicked, open up the browser and point to that URL.

Either way, it all seems very shady to me.

3. iFiend macrumors 65816

ftw

4. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

Proposed title. How to get a fist in the face.

If I ever caught ANYONE pushing information onto my devices via ANY proximity scheme, they would end up in the hospital. In my opinion forcing data onto my device is the SAME as coming INTO my house and shoving a flyer in my face.

5. SharepointGuy macrumors member

SharepointGuy

I take it you've never gotten those spam texts that advertise something? I envision those texts being similar in style to these coupon offers. That being said, I 100% agree with you that forcing data is a major privacy violation especially since people can do things such as mobile banking on their device. The OP also wanting to take control of the iPhone browser is pretty scary.

If this was an application you would download this would be a completely different story.

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Just put a QR code in your window, you'll get a lot more traffic from people curious about what it is.

I always scan QR codes, what can I say, I'm curious.

7. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

+1 That's one of the fun things about a QR code. I want to know what it is. Unlike seeing a link to some website and having to think "I should go type that in", if I see a QR code, I will scan it, and I will end up visiting that website.

Hell, I was watching Colbert sing Rebecca Black's Friday on Hulu a couple days ago, noticed a guy holding a big QR code sign in the background, paused the video, and went where the link pointed.