Not received my Mac Pro yet but tempted to sell it.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by paulg1979, Feb 20, 2009.

1. paulg1979 macrumors member

Hi all,

Just bought a Mac Pro with the following from Apple:

2 x 2.8 xeon
    500GB hard drive
    8800GT Graphics Card
    2 x Superdrives
    Wireless and bluetooth
    Wireless mouse
    Apple Care

I've just bought 2 x 640 WD black Hard drives and 8GB of crucial ram ready to install in the pro when it arrives next week giving the computer a total of 1.8TB HD and 10GB ram.

Would I be mad to keep this until the new one arrives? I don't need the extra power but just love up to date technology. I'm not sure if I should keep mine for a year then buy the new one or put mine up for sale as soon as the new one is announced.

Do Mac Pro's hold their value? Not sure what my one would be worth in 2 months.

2. bntz313 macrumors 6502

I would just keep it, thats a pretty spec'd out machine. Or you could just send it back to apple and get your money back and buy one when they come out

3. paulg1979 thread starter macrumors member

Well the only good thing was I got 17% student discount so I could make myself a little money if I sold it and put that towards a new one or like you said keep it. It is a pretty spec'd machine. Hard decision

4. jonnymorris macrumors member

Do you ever actually own a machine long enough to put your data on it or take the plastic wrapping off?? :D

I'd say that an average Mac should last most people 3-5 years and remain useful, I think you should at least be able to get 2-3 years out of this beast before an upgrade is worth the money, and Macs generally don't lose much value so you should still be OK to trade up when the time comes.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

2-3?! What does he do? I'd say 5-6.

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Has it shipped yet? You may just be able to cancel your order if that's what you want to do.

7. Sebastianmonty macrumors newbie

2-3 years? Wha!
    5-6 years what!!! TOO LONG.

Yeah I had my iMac for 2.5 years and that was way too long(it was a G5). I would say with most macs to change at 2 years. That way there is still one year left for the APP and any faults the new user has, they can just get Apple to fix it.

However if you have a Mac Pro, don't buy a new one anytime soon. I know you get a good discount, but you will be hanging on to it for at least 8 months IMO.

A new one will be released, there will be issues-like every other mac(but they get updated) then you will want one.

Also, may be wrong but one CTO there isn't a change of mind policy. Just a DOA policy.
    Enjoy it, and remember you can always update the graphics card, add more storage(you should have got 1TB drives-they are so cheap $ per GB and the processor will compete with the best of the boys for ages. Get a new mac once 10.6 is out.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If he had professional work to do, 2-3 years would be good.

But he used the student discount, so I'm assuming that he won't need an upgrade for around 5 years.

It's a Mac Pro. The iMac is a completely different machine.

9. darklyt macrumors regular

Also, the G5's weren't around for very long before the Intel Macs were introduced.

Mac Pros hold their value very well. Just check out what people are asking for/getting for Powermac G5s.

10. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

i plan on keeping my mac for just under 3 years, so i can sell it to the new user with a couple of months left on applecare so they have abit of peace of mind.

11. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Definitely listen to Tallest Skil, he's the Mac Pro expert (for real).
    With 2 x 2.8 processors, you won't need any upgrade for a long time unless you do something that really needs a lot of GHz :p. 10 GB RAM is a damn lot as well, only thing that would make that machine really fly even more, would be an SSD. Sure the new Mac Pros will offer better processors, but the setup you ordered is great already, so depending on what you use it for, you won't need the new one, unless you want the "latest and greatest". If this would be a 1,000$ low end MacBook, I can understand upgrading every 2 years. But this Mac Pro will still be great in at least 5 or 6 years, but the urge to have the "new stuff" will want to make you upgrade.
    I had that urge, and I ended up with the new MacBook Pro (which amazingly was cheaper than my 2.2 MacBook I had before, by 500$ :confused:), but I could go with the upgrade because I had someone who needed the MacBook (my dad).
    Back on topic; only cancel the order if you NEED the latest and greatest, but considering you're a student, I can't imagine what you'd need the new one unless you're in the movie industry or something.

12. paulg1979 thread starter macrumors member

I'm mainly going to be doing work on CS4 and internet browsing etc.....

I'm not a student but my fiancees sister is and she is leaving it at my house so she has a computer at mine and her laptop for uni. :D

I think from most peoples opinions it might be worth keeping this for a while and maybe change in a couple of years.

13. Mori1 macrumors member

I would have to agree. Keep it, what you bought should more then suit your needs. I bought my first and second mac when I was a student in college. I had my Classic for eight years and gave it to a friend who needed it. My Quadra 610 I've had for 14 years and have no plans of giving it up. I finally broke down a year ago to buy my first laptop a MacBook Pro, which I can't live without.