Not receiving group messages

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mknabster, Dec 16, 2014.

1. mknabster macrumors regular

Hello all,

I have been having an odd situation with my fiance's iPhone 4S running 7.1.x on it, whatever the latest version is, don't really remember. But she has been telling me that when someone sends a group message, she doesn't have anything come in. Now i tried a localized test where i sent a message to a few people and was right next to all of the phones, and they all received it instantly or within a few seconds, but hers never got the message. Now she does receive iMessages if just sent solely to her, but not if there is a group. I did check settings and group messaging is turned on in Settings, I tried rebooting the phone, logging in and out of her itunes account, still not change. What could be the issue here?

Thanks!

2. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

When you tested this using your friends' phones, did they all have iPhones? Or, did one or some of them have other smart phones (like android)?

3. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

You know what, I just did another test where it was all iPhones, and it did get to her, and she received updates in a group. But then did another where some were from android, iphone, and basic phones, and it didn't come in at all.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Is she able to receive text messages at all? You can test this by turning iMessage off on your phone and sending her a text.

5. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, she can receive iMessages from me and others, and texts from android phones as well, just not in a group setting for some reason.

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I can't receive picture texts on my 6+. Are you receiving any? I receive normal text messages, but not pictures. I went to Settings > iMessage, when the green indicator is lit, does that mean it's ON or OFF. There's no indication.

7. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

Can't help you on the 6+, her phone is a 4S. But she's receiving picture messages without an issue as far as i'm aware. But if the green indicator is on, then it's turned on.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This is normal coming from some non-iPhones. When someone replies to a group message on a non-iPhone it may be sent as an individual text.

However, are you saying it didn't come at all or just not as a group message? Did you check the individual messages? It should be there.

9. mknabster thread starter macrumors regular

I was familiar with group texts coming from non-iPhones coming in individually, but for her, it doesn't come in at all. I checked to see if it came in individually and nothing. So if someone, say form an Android or basic phone sends a group message, she gets absolutely nothing.

I was on the group message and i received it, but when i asked her about the message, she said she never got anything related to it.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Does she have "Send as SMS" enabled and her phone number (not just her iCloud email) in one of the addresses under Send & Receive in Settings > Messages?

I assume she already has "Group Messaging" enabled.

11. jozeppy26 macrumors 6502

jozeppy26

Group text messages sent outside of the iMessage system and through your carrier are sent via MMS (which is how it sends when you have non-phone devices in the group text). Can she receive a photo if sent from one of your friends without an iPhone? (she'll receive them from an iPhone because it sends via iMessage). I suspect the issue is with her ability to receive MMS messages. First, make sure MMS messaging is turned on within Setting>Messages. I would call your carrier and troubleshoot the issue if this does not solve the problem.