Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
I can't get imessages working correctly on my new iPhone 6. Last night they would fail when trying to send them, I reset network settings, logged out and back into imessages. Today I can send them and people are receiving them (though it says delivered on my phone and never changes to read like it usually does for these contacts) but I'm not receiving their replies. They are going to my old iphone 5 still on ios7 but not to my 6. all the settings look identical. Any ideas???

edit: I can send imessage from my phone # but if i change it start new convos from apple id, it fails

Last edited:

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
phone is at home, will try this later. but this wasn't an issue when I had the 6+ the last couple of days. messages were going to both phones without a problem.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
Is it supposed to show the active apple id in the imessages settings like it does in the facetime settings? sometimes when i turn off imessages and turn it back on a link to sign in to apple id shows but when i click on it and start entering my password it disappears and goes back to the imessage settings screen and doesn't show an apple ID

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
finally got it to give me enough time to enter my password and it says Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again. My network connection is fine. I've reset my network settings multiple times, signed in and out of icloud/face time itunes/appstore, rebooted phone... everything seems to work but imessages. Guess I'll try restoring tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.