Not Receiving notifications on Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nolegirl01, May 1, 2015.

1. nolegirl01 macrumors regular

So I finally received my watch, (yay!), and I set everything up nicely. For some reason I'm not receiving notifications on my Apple Watch. I have it all to mirror my iPhone, which is receiving everything and sounding like it's supposed to but I'm not getting anything on my Apple Watch, no vibrations no sounds no notifications. I'm sure there must be a setting that I've overlooked but I can't seem to figure out what? Anyone have any ideas?

2. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Make sure that in Apple Watch App -> Notifications -> all of the apps are checked to send notifications.

If this is already the case, you won't get a notification on your wrist if your iPhone screen is activated. Basically, if it thinks you saw the notification on your iPhone, it won't bother your wrist (at least it does this for me. It seems like everyone's watch works slightly differently...)

3. Anya B macrumors 6502

Anya B

I found that i had to use Custom as oppose to mirror my iPhone. When you select custom you will see more alert options, such as show alert, sound and haptic.

Watch app>notifications>messages>custom.

4. baller1308, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015

baller1308 macrumors 6502a

My friend had the same issue with texts not appearing on his watch. Try to send a text and see if it syncs, from your watch.

5. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

yep, for example, you are using your phone, or even just the screen is lit up, and you receive a text. there will be a pop-up bar on top of the iPhone. then watch/iphone assumes you see it on your phone and will not give you an alert on the watch

plus, some notification on iPhone has sound and vibration, but does not pop up. like mail for example, by default it has badge, sound, but no alert. in that case you will not receive anything on your apple watch

simply put, apple watch just displays whatever ALERT (not necessarily notification, but alert, when you go to your iPhone's setting --> notification and you will understand the difference), that is not yet displayed on your iPhone (i.e., when iPhone is on lock screen).

----------

it sometimes takes a while for the notification to be pushed to the watch. the watch has to be activated, establish connection, and then push all data over. it takes time, especially when it's been a while since last notification.

----------

you sure you have ALERT (not notification) turned on for that specific app on your iPhone?

6. nolegirl01 thread starter macrumors regular

You guys rock thanks! I think the issue was that I was on my phone when I received a text message and it never came on my watch. As soon as I put the phone to sleep I received a message. I think it's working now but I'm going to test it more to see if everything is working properly. I definitely didn't know that if you receive the message on your phone and you are on your phone you won't receive it on your watch. Thanks a bunch guys! I will let you know if I have any other issues with this.

7. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

On my phone , there are 3 choices for notifications to show on lock screen besides badges and sounds :

-None
    -Banners
    -Alerts

On the phone I have all set to banners .Does this impact the watch ?

On my watch ( Custom settings ) I have Alerts ON . It seems to work fine for all but emails .

Any input would be really helpful !

8. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

That's exactly why. When you are using an iOS device (iPhone/iPad) and you get a notification it won't go to the apple watch. I'm assuming to save power