Not receiving SMS messages on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dubina, Jun 24, 2013.

1. dubina macrumors member

I get a notice (from Google, let's say) that a confirmation code will be sent (by text message) to my cell phone number (which happens to be an iPhone).

I look for the confirmation code in the green balloon message stash, but I find nothing there. This has been a recurring problem. The original seemingly simple transaction blows up into several hours of futile tail-chasing.

Then, I tried to log into an Apple Community forum to find out what was going on. The forum wanted my Apple ID. I have not used it for a long time and I do not know it now. My best guesses failed. I tried to find my Apple ID and reset my password, and I think I reset my password, but I could not find my Apple ID. Apparently it is an email address, but it is not the one I was using as I tried and failed to find my Apple ID.

I wouldn't care much about not finding the Apple ID except I needed it to get advice on an Apple troubleshooting forum...re the SMS message problem noted above.

It may be that I am missing something basic and the solution is simple. Right now, though, it seems infernally complicated. What to do?

2. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

sms delivery is a carrier thing and has nothing to do with your apple ID.

on a different note, how are you using your phone without knowing or being logged into an apple ID?

3. dubina thread starter macrumors member

Are you saying if someone sends a text message to my iPhone and my iPhone does not receive it that that is a carrier issue, nothing to do with the iPhone?

Re your second question, it must be possible to use the phone without knowing the Apple ID because it works (for most things) and I did not know the Apple ID. Furthermore, last night, after posting this question here, I got an email notice, as follows:

The password for your Apple ID XXXXXXXXXXXXX.com has been successfully reset. So that told me what my Apple ID was and is, but it was the same Apple ID I was using yesterday when I got a message that informed me that my Apple ID was not the one I was currently using as I tried and failed to find my Apple ID.

Anyway, I'm good on the Apple ID now. I'd like to know what is preventing text messages from landing in my (wife's - her phone) message folder. As I recall, message senders (eg Google) offer two options: send to the phone (and give last four numbers of a mobile phone number) or answer questions. I picked send to the phone.