Not recognizing printers

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Heist, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Heist macrumors newbie

I just purchased the new 21.5" imac with the basic platform. 10.6.7. I attempted to hook up my older HP printer via usb, but it just kept saying offline. Tried calling HP reinstalling drivers over and over still nothing. Ended up getting so frustrated I went and purchased a canon MG5200. Loaded software drivers plug in the USB and nothing....

My old macbook works with the old HP and also without loading the drivers the new canon. Using the same USB cord. Also I tried to plug in the usb in every port. Even plugged in my iPhone and external hard drive to the USB ports to make sure.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

2. Heist thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

I had similar issue with my hp 1610 printer which the computer told me was offline. I did download the hp update from hp which made no difference at first but then it kicked in and left me wandering what happened to make it work at that point. I put it down to either a snow leopard/driver problem or a port problem at either end. I guess I'll find out later today when I try to print some more. Good luck with yours.
    Whitemacbook 2008 Leopard upgraded to Snow Leopard. (1 gig)

4. Heist thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I know its not the port because all my other USB devices work on the same port. Also can't be the cord because the cord works with my older macbook. Also taking the blame away from the printers because both work fine with the older macbook. It has to be the computer, but I have no clue how to diagnose and fix it. Anyone else have any input?

5. Heist thread starter macrumors newbie

6. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Perhaps CUPS may help? Macs have the Unix utility, CUPS (Common Unix Printing Service) installed and printers can be managed this way. For access to this, cut and paste the numbers 127.0.0.1:631 into your browser.

7. Cyberskier macrumors newbie

I have a Canon Pixma MX870 that was driving me nuts staying connected to my Air. I finally went into the printer settings themselves, using the printer keypad, and found a setting to enable Bonjour. It may already have been on, but I set it to turn on anyway. Knock on wood, but I've now had a steady connection for 3 days.