Not regretting the switch

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by MBX, Nov 17, 2013.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

What a big difference it is after switching to Galaxy Note 3/ Android from iPhone 5S.

Not just the bigger screen but all the flexibility that Android offers.

Apple has really been left behind because they are so stubborn. I know they will introduce bigger screens but probably not until mid/ fall 2014!

And while iOS7 is really a nice step in the right direction it still has the fixed app icon grid system without any flexibility to place widgets. And the app-to-app/ sharing interaction is poor too while on Android you can do so much more. On top of everything, Google really has a big advantage with all the services they offer that are standard nowadays and so nicely tied in the Android ecosystem.

This Note 3 is the best phone/ "phablet" I've ever had. But I'm looking forward what Apple comes up with next year and how the future iOS7 updates look like.

2. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I'm not regretting it either..

Nothing to regret I could easily make my money back on nexus 5 if I got cold feet and I still have my iPhone 5 to fall back on but I love my droid so much I'm willing to sell and part with my idevice if I get a reasonable offer

3. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

I changed from an iPhone 4S and 5 to a SGS3 (Now have a SGS4 and Nexus 4) some time ago and have had no desire to go back to an iPhone. In a couple of posts some Apple stalwart will type the words "you'll be back". I too am looking forward to Apple's offerings next year.

Glad you are enjoying your new phone. :)

4. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Love the Note 3 as well, best go-to device to date but I still like to have my foot in the door of iOS. Would really like to get a retina mini so I can enjoy it on a bigger screen.

5. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

6. jaymzuk macrumors regular

I've gone from iPhone to HTC Desire to iPhone 4S to HTC one, and I think the one thing that most people forget is how they use their phones.

Basic phone usage, music, IM, Facebook, email, games and general web browsing probably account for 90+% of device usage. Jumping between Android and iOS is easy and painless, and if you spend sufficient amounts of money on apps for switching to be a problem, I'd suggest that your choice of mobile OS isn't the underlying issue.

Go out, try and a phone, and buy one you like. Companies don't have allegiances to consumers, so don't have allegiances to companies.

7. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. :) Six months ago I went to a Note 2 after having used iPhones exclusively since 2008, and it felt like quite a revolution indeed. And the Note 3 is even more of a powerhouse of course.

Personally I finally felt that the Note 2 was just a tad complicated to use as a phone, and I've now gone back to iPhone for faster camera access + a slightly more slick experience when it comes to the basic phone functionality. I keep the Note 2 with me most of the time though, to whip out and use tethered whenever I want to get into more serious browsing, typing (Swype!), reading or gaming. Because the 3.5-4" screen format really isn't enough there, in my taste at least.

I think the fundamental pros and cons of Note 2-3/big Android phones in general vs iPhones really comes down to how much one wants to be able to do with a single device. I find I'm quite happy to separate basic phone use from more "heavy duty" touchscreen action, using two different devices. If Samsung keeps polishing their UI + hardware design though, I might well be back for the Note 4. (Or even Note 3, if I get bored with the iPhone again... :D)

8. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh and let's not forget: While the iPhone 5S chassis does feel slightly more premium at first it becomes ugly pretty fast because it scratches & metal chipping away much faster. My Note 3 still looks brand new while my iPhone 5S had some scratches and metal chipped away after the first 1-2 day(s).

To me it's all about the screen anyway. And when I hold it in my hands the Note 3 feels much more ergonomic than the "anti-human" industrial design of the iPhone 5S which has sharp edges and isn't as comfortable to hold.

9. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yep love my note 3.best phone I've ever had. Kills everything the iPhone does for my needs.

10. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

So far I'm not regretting it either. I'm starting week two or three (lost track) with my Nexus 5 and I couldn't be happier. ;)

I'm still interested to see what Apple does next year, but so far no intentions of moving back.