Not releasing memory?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by sigbiz, Oct 23, 2013.

1. sigbiz macrumors newbie

Has anyone else noticed memory problems?

I have an App that shows free memory and can force release of more. Normally I only use when I have Photoshop hard at work but since loading Mavericks have kept finding low memory just with a handful of low memory apps open and before opening Photoshop. I have 8gb installed and it has not been a problem before.:(

2. anzio macrumors 6502

OS X Mavericks has changed the way memory is handled. It will use quite a bit now for better responsiveness. After reading the forums, it's not unusual to see RAM pretty close to maxed out.

I have Safari, Twitter, Skype, Chrome, and Activity Monitor open and I'm at 11.1GB/16GB RAM used.

Are you suffering performance-wise?

3. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I think it's great that it's trying to use all the RAM available. What's the point in putting 32GB into an iMac if it's only going to use 8-16? Use it all and don't show me no beachballs!

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Do you actually have a problem? Apart from "memory being used"?

As said, 10.9 uses memory in a COMPLETELY different way. Throw away your pointless "Memory Clean" apps. They are needed even less now than they ever were before (which wasn't much).

If you are not experiencing performance issues, then you have no problem. Go back to your work.:D

5. ivnj macrumors 65816

In the app store I downloaded "memory clean" aznd works great. I was at 5gb out of 8gb. The after a cleaning I went down to 3.5gb. So I never have to worry about memory again.

But after restarting I showed 3gb of ram used. And "memory clean" said I was using 2gb of ram" How can there be so much difference. After a cleaning it showed pretty close to the same in both "memory clean" and "activity monitor". But before cleaning its always 1 higher than thew other. Doesn't make sense. One has to be wrong.

6. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

This bears repeating. Delete all "memory clean" apps. They are useless, at best. Mavericks aggressively caches data, and you are defeating that by forcing a purge.

Unless you are getting errors or having performance issues, don't worry about your memory. If you want to look in Activity Monitor, then focus on the "Swap Used" number. If that is zero or low, Mavericks is fine.

John

7. mingqing007 macrumors newbie

mingqing007

Totally agree!

8. ivnj macrumors 65816

Well its not caching anything. Because I had 5b of ram and after a cleaning I went down to 3.5gb. So the memory cleaner is working now.

It was the same in snow leopard. My mini from 2006 (I ebayed it in 2012) was only 2gb of ram max capable. Not enough so it would beach ball all the time. Even only a few program open and 2 or 3 safari tabs would see the rainbow beach ball all the time. Like barely after half an hour. So osx has never been good with memory.

9. sigbiz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it took me a little while to figure out what was going on :( . I now think the memory management is the most significant feature of Mavericks. In processing images within photoshop I am now handling far more within a batch then could ever do before

10. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Parallels on Mavericks

Which version of Parallels?

Related/retrospective

I usually say, purge should be used only as part of a diagnostic routine ("… to approximate initial boot conditions with a cold disk buffer cache for performance analysis …"), or words to that effect.

However, if (a not yet known version of) Parallels on Mavericks is not making optimal use of memory … go ahead, as an exception, try it.

11. vexorg macrumors 6502a

10.0.2, had to upgrade going to mavericks. Parallels it's self is fine as once it does start then it has enough memory.

Safari on the other hand hangs with the beach ball / pin wheel runs for ages if I sometimes open a new tab, or pick a new page.