Not restoring from backup

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by NewGuyHere, Jul 24, 2013.

1. NewGuyHere macrumors regular

Hello guys, I just recently updated to iOS 7 Beta. Everything went smoothly and I backed up via iCloud before installing. However, after the installation, I couldn't restore the backup for some reason. I don't know why it doesnt recognize the iCloud backup. Please help me, I lost a bunch of photos and stuff. I also backed up via iTunes and when I press backup restore it just repeats the setup and nothing backed up appears. Please help!

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Probably not what you want to hear, but when messing with Betas, I don't ever restore from an iCloud backup. The betas are only good for so long before they expire, and the unstableness can cause crashes, etc. that could corrupt your data. Its just too risky in my opinion.

On betas, I'll use iCloud to restore contacts, calendars, etc., but I turn iCloud Backups OFF. My iCloud backup is reserved for public release versions of iOS.

I recommend you downgrade back to 6.1.4 and restore from your iTunes or iCloud backup. I'd stay away from your personal backups while testing iOS7 betas.

You're playing with fire if you have to restore backup data for a beta testing (Almost sounds like its your daily driver).

3. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

My sentiments exactly.

When ever I install a new beta on an iOS device - it's a clean install and not backups done on that iOS beta version.

I know this doesn't help you in your current situation - the best advice is to restore to iOS6 (6.1.3 if you're on iPhone 4s and 6.1.4 if you're on the iPhone 5)

Lastly, please keep in mind that betas are not really for daily drivers. They're there to do two main things:

1. Test your app on the new version of the iOS so it's ready when the OS goes GM
    2. File bug reports to Apple for them to fix before GM / Public release.

4. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I agree with everything you said, but I always put every beta on my daily driver. For me, it's the best way to find bugs and report them.

5. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Yeah, that is fine if you're okay with apps not working as they should and random crashes, etc.

For example, I use a banking app that (obviously) doesn't work correctly in iOS7. So therefore, I have a test device with Beta 3 on where I test apps and other issues on the OS. I then use my primary device on the latest release of iOS (In this case, iOS 6.1.3) and use mission critical apps on there as I know they work 100%.

Of course, like you say the best way to find bugs is to use the device daily - if you have no mission critical apps or your data is safely backed up (iTunes or iCloud) then, sure do that.

6. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

I know what you mean.. My banking app's camera was black when trying to deposit a check. It still worked, but I had to guess when taking a picture of the check. I don't deposit checks often, so I can deal with it.

I always have backups, so my data itself is safe. It'll be nice finally having a test device (4S) when the 5S is released, though :apple:

7. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Oh my banking app crashes, all the time. So no go for me.

Currently using an iPhone 4 as a test device. Will be nice to use the 4S I have as a test. However, I am waiting for the next iPhone to come out before I upgrade. I have already decided I don't care what the 5S has / looks like - me wants. :D

8. robwilson macrumors member

Restore from ITunes, not ICloud backup......:D

9. aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

Haha, I'm the same way. I started with an iPhone 4 that my company bought. They wanted it back when I bought my 4S outright, so there went my test device.

Now that I have a 5 and my wife has my 4S, I'll finally have something to test when I can get it away from my daughter lol.

10. NewGuyHere thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, well I somehow got it to work. Everything is back on my phone, except one issue. I only got 10 our of my 200+ photos back on my phone. I don't know if thats some sort of limit or something is happening with the update stalling.