Not seeing new Airpods options in iOS 11

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by Renegade89, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Renegade89 macrumors member

Hello all,
    I have updated my iPad Air 2 to iOS 11, mainly because I would like to be able to use the new Airpods options (next track with double tap, etc). Unfortunately I am unable to see these new options with my paired Airpods. Airpods are on the latest firmware (3.7.2 I believe). I have tried un-pairing and re-pairing and restarting my iPad a couple times with no luck. I would prefer not to update my iPhone to iOS 11 to try to get the options, since it is my daily driver. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

2. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Are you looking for the settings in the right place? You have to go to Bluetooth settings and then tap the "i" next to your AirPods and then the option to change what double tapping on either AirPod will appear in that area.

3. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Reset them by holding down the button on the back and restart you iPad then try again.

4. Renegade89 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I am looking in the right place. I only see the options that were available in iOS 10. I believe that is the only place to find the options.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this, with no luck :(

5. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

work:Oyu Tolgio, Home:LOS, From Scotland G15
    I've just update using my iphone 7+ and they worked straight away, I'll try ipad pro 9.7 later and report back
    IMG_3723.PNG IMG_3722.PNG

6. Renegade89 thread starter macrumors member

I was finally able to get the iOS 11 options. The 3rd time I reset the AirPods and forgot them in the Bluetooth settings, I force quit all my apps before restarting the iPad. Re-paired them, and the options showed up. Hopefully this help someone in the future!

7. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

i liked ios 10 control centre, when the auto pairing didn't pair, a simple swipe up and select the headphone or speaker, now we have to go all the way into the blue tooth settings to connect.
    hopefully this will be improved

8. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

You can pair from the media controls in CC when there’s something playing in there. But, yes, pairing with AirPods (or any other Airplay targets) needs to be addressed and I’m sure it will be.

9. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

thanks for the tip.must keep looking, it can be accessed in now playing and in CC
    Screenshot 2.png Screenshot 1.png

10. Discopants macrumors newbie

Does the gestures/taps work on non ios11 devices, for instance update on my ipad on 11 and use on my iPhone on 10

11. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Not thread related; but good choice of music!

Can't wait to see him in October :)

12. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

I haven't personally tested that but people are saying that works.

13. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

I will ask one of the guys whos on ios 10, and has airpods also

14. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

The AirPods need to be connected to an ios11 device until the new options show. At that point you can select your left/right options. Those preferences should then work (but not show as options) on other devices. Presumably it’s the firmware for the AirPods that gets updated. That’s what I read at least

15. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

my co worker, doesn't want that option just now, he said he's happy enough with play/pause.

16. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

I personally never use those tap controls because I feel like I’m jamming them in my ear. Nice option for those who want it though.

17. Swimrlad macrumors newbie

Swimrlad

I just got my AirPods in the mail today, and they’re still on 3.5.1, and the new options aren’t showing up for mine. What firmware are your iOS 11-compatible AirPods? (I am hoping they’ll magically update through the night to 3.5.7, but I was unsure if they would need something even newer than that.)

18. ianrip macrumors 6502

ianrip

current firmware is 3.7.2, and i think they were updated prior to installing ios11

19. Swimrlad macrumors newbie

Swimrlad

Awesome, thanks. I’m hoping they’ll update “automagically” now that they’re plugged in and my iPhone is nearby, also charging.

20. saschke macrumors 6502

Did your AirPods update, Swimrlad? I’m also on iOS 11 and they are not showing the left right options.

21. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

Hey my name is Ian too! Nice name!

22. Swimrlad macrumors newbie

Swimrlad

I did! I figured that the iOS 11 beta had a bug that caused it to not look for available updates. So I paired my AirPods with my sister's phone, and they updated. :) Now I see the new options. :)

23. saschke macrumors 6502

That’s a brilliant idea. Gonna try it with my wife’s iPad.

24. Swimrlad macrumors newbie

Swimrlad

Thanks! Keep me posted.

25. saschke macrumors 6502

It actually worked :)
    I’ve bought the AirPods only this week and iOS 11 was on my phone and iPad. So I guess the update trigger hasn’t happened until I’ve used your trick. :eek: