Not seeing update for Dev Beta

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by scottct1, Sep 30, 2015.

1. scottct1 macrumors regular

scottct1

Hi there, my Macbook Pro is on Developer Version 10.11 Beta 15A279b when I go to the app store and try to update it tells me there are no Updates Available.

How do I update?

2. galinder macrumors member

galinder

same problem

3. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

Search for it in the search box in the app store and it should let you download.

4. galinder macrumors member

galinder

5. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

Go to the Purchased Section, you'll find it in there. You don't want an update (and there isn't one), you'll want the complete installer.

Lou

6. galinder macrumors member

galinder

thanks.
    but it will download all files on the mac?

7. PepsiCola macrumors newbie

PepsiCola

I want to know the answer to this question too - will the "complete installer" do a fresh install and wipe the disk, or will it just perform an upgrade? I'm on 10.11 beta / 15A278b.

8. PepsiCola macrumors newbie

PepsiCola

I took the risk and went ahead with the "complete installer" approach, and I can confirm that all my apps and data are still there. It was a big download and took about 30 minutes to install. Kudos to Apple for doing the right thing.

9. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

No, you can do what you want. You can do a clean install or not. When I installed it, I stopped it after download and made a USB installer disk. I then updated my disk with the last PB on it. I did not do a clean install and no data was affected. I'm still running PB 10.11.1 on another startup disk.

Really, there was NO Risk!

Lou

10. PepsiCola macrumors newbie

PepsiCola

I was reminded of the time I used a Windows 10 ISO disk to "update and repair" an expired Technical Preview install, only to discover to my horror when I booted the machine that all the apps and data had been wiped without warning. Apple >> Microsoft

11. flowrider macrumors 603

flowrider

^^^^That's windoz! I've been using Mac OS since 1986, and over all those years have never lost any data. I do have backups and have had to use 'em on occasion, but that was because of HDD failure, not because of an OS install update. If the user does things correctly and there is not a power or machine failure than there is No Risk IMO.

Lou