Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hateloveobey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Re-installing lion on my MBP but the only options it gives to me where I want it to be installed is the "recovery". On disc utility it does show the 400GB internal harddrive' I tried to erase and make it ''os journeld' but all it says is "unable to unmount"

Anyway, I am now installing lion on an external hard drive but as soon as its done I want to install mountain lion on the internall hdd, any solutions?

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england
Re-installing lion on my MBP but the only options it gives to me where I want it to be installed is the "recovery". On disc utility it does show the 400GB internal harddrive' I tried to erase and make it ''os journeld' but all it says is "unable to unmount"

Anyway, I am now installing lion on an external hard drive but as soon as its done I want to install mountain lion on the internall hdd, any solutions?

you can't unmount or erase a disc that your running from. use external hdd to erase internal hdd then reinstall.or if have a usb recovery drive can also reinstall afresh from that

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
you can't unmount or erase a disc that your running from. use external hdd to erase internal hdd then reinstall.or if have a usb recovery drive can also reinstall afresh from that

If you have the recovery partition installed on your HDD, just hold down command-r at startup and it will automaticaly boot from the recovery partition allowing you to format and reinstall lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.