Not-so-dead pixels? (Damaged LCD monitor)

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by cartoonfox, Sep 16, 2008.

1. cartoonfox macrumors regular

cartoonfox

I recently moved house, and in transit unfortunately my Samsung monitor got some screen damage. I didn't notice until I plugged it in. At first I thought it was dead pixels, but now I've noticed that the damaged marks are slightly transparent, meaning I can see colour/shapes etc behind them!

Is this something else other than dead pixels? And is there any way of fixing them (Probably not but worth a shot).

I put this in Video Games because I didn't know where else to put it.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

If you haven't already, try different inputs besides the 360 to see if it still happens.

LCDs have sub-pixels, it's possible just one of the layers got damaged, if I'm thinking about this in the right way.

My friend's 50" Samsung had a red pixel noise that occurred in dark values, but that moved with the images on the screen. The tech had to replace practically every board in the TV to get it fixed.

<]=)

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have an LG monitor that suffered EXACTLY the same kind of damage as the screenshots.

Unfortunately my monitor was out of warranty and it's wasn't worth the cost to repair the monitor it needed a new LCD panel.

:(

4. jackshiels macrumors newbie

Have you tried to repair the pixels? If they are dead and not damaged it might work, but you say they have been damaged... I doubt at this point it will work, but here's what to do:

Make three images in a photo editor, them being completely red, blue and green. Burn a dvd of these slides flickering in sequence very quickly and play it on your tv.

This will only work if they are dead, but not if they have been damaged by outside influence. By the looks of it I think that the red and green layers have been destroyed... Hope it all works out for you.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If you can hook a PC up to it try my pixel fixer, I had a similar problem with sub-pixels (also stuck on blue) so I whipped this up and fixed them. These type of apps don't always work though. And I need to make an MP4 version to fix a tiny stick pixel in the bottom right of my PSP (really is the last pixel on that screen!).

6. cartoonfox thread starter macrumors regular

cartoonfox

Thanks for the replies everyone.

JackAxe - Yeah I also tried hooking up my Mac (the main use of the monitor before my gf convinced me to move my main TV in the sitting room!) The damage is still there.

MacRumorUser - That's not good news, I think mine is out of the warranty too : [

jackshiels - I haven't tried to repair them yet. I think I will tonight. Cheers.

raggedjimmi - Hey, if you could make a Mac version that would be great :p I'll look online for some pixel fixer video things.

Cheers all.