Not so happy with streaming with Apple TV 2

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by desertman, Mar 1, 2013.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

I'm not so happy yet with Netflix and Hulu streaming with my "new" Apple TV 2.

I have a 61" DLP TV and whatever I stream from Netflix looks not like even 720p to me. Is that to be expected with Netflix and such a big TV, or can I do here anything to get a better picture quality?

Hulu is certainly better but also not really top quality.

Greetings - desertman

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well the Apple TV 2 can only do 720p and not all Netflix shows are 720p or 1080p.

Are you streaming to the Apple TV via Ethernet or Wi-Fi? If you're doing it over Wi-Fi, there is potential for issues with interference and router performance that could impact the quality of the shows as well.

3. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good to know. I would have thought that everything is at least 720p. Does Netflix give somewhere information about the streaming quality of specific shows or movies?

I do stream wirelessly from an N600 router that is about 10 feet away from the Apple TV.

One more question - what do the quality settings in my Netflix account mean? Does "better" equal 720p and does "best" mean 1080p?

Greetings - desertman

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Apparently according to this article, Netflix 'High HD' refers to 1080p streaming, which should be located near the show title in the menu. I'm not sure if there is a moniker for 720p or not. Nor can I recall what I see on mine, because I really don't look for it.

5. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting article. Thanks for that!

Greetings - desertman