Not so mighty mouse.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wayne s, May 16, 2008.

1. Wayne s macrumors regular

Is the mighty Mouse covered under Apple Care?
    The scroll wheel is driving me nuts, its fine scrolling up, left and right but going down is a right pain. I have tried cleaning it and it normally works, but not any more. Its a shame because I like the mouse.

Wayne.

2. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I loved the mighty mouse. For the two days after I got it.

After that, no amount of cleaning could get rid of that "yucky" feeling that it leaves in your hands and the stupid wheel is a major pain in the ass.

Not a fan. What a poorly designed piece of crap.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I have had that problem as well and had two of them replaced. After that I found the best method of cleaning them (IMO) and for the last 8 months it has been working well...

1. Get some 90% Isopropyl (Rubbing) alcohol. If you have a CVS pharmacy nearby, they usually carry it. Also get a small "spray" bottle that you can fill it with the alcohol.

2. Turn the mouse off.

3. Spray the alcohol directly into the ball so that it is covered. Rotate the ball a little and spray again.

4. On a microfiber cloth, spray the alcohol vigorously onto the cloth, making it damp, but not saturated.

5. Now invert the mouse, and vigorously (apply some downward pressure) roll it on the cloth in all directions - vertically, horizontally, and circular - for about 20 seconds.

6. Wait about a minute for the mouse to dry (alcohol evaporates fairly quickly).

7. Try rotating the ball. It should feel smooth in all directions. If not, repeat the process until it is smooth.

8. Turn it back on and try it with your computer.

I have to do this about once per month, but the results are great.

5. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Mighty Mouse is a stupid piece of crap! I hate the damn thing! I've been trying to clean this thing every day but the scroll wheel still won't work!

:mad::mad::mad:

6. AnthonyG macrumors newbie

I get the same exact problem. Cant scroll down. I hear everyone talk about cleaning, but I dont want to do that every other time I use the mouse. I kinda just push hard on the scroll ball a few times and it will work. I am going to replace the might mouse with this http://us.kensington.com/html/2200.html