Not so sure now that pricing details are out

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tschangrx7, Mar 16, 2015.

1. tschangrx7 macrumors newbie

How many of you were pretty sure that you're getting one but now after announcement of price details not so sure, mainly because it's double the cost you were hoping to spend?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I was expecting to spend $349-399. I'm still spending $349-399. No problem there. :D

3. ksuyen macrumors 6502a

ksuyen

Since it's still much cheaper than air ticket I usually pay from here to practically anywhere, I will get the SS one. Count it as one less travel this year :D

4. technosix macrumors 6502a

Those who wait and buy the second gen watch will be very happy, have a better watch and better value. It's Apple tradition. Everything they learn from the original they'll resolve and improve on the next model. Most everyone I know is happy to wait since buying an original is risky.

Yet there are those that just don't care, or can't wait.

I'm happy to have them to help Apple sort out the bugs annoyances and shortcomings that could not be foreseen until the watch was sold to the public.

5. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Boring.

Smart maybe, but boring ;)

This logic always puzzles me. On the one hand, I sort of envy this type of resolve and (thrift?).

On the other hand.....it puzzles me :D

6. pragmatous macrumors 65816

I bought a kick ass 2015 Gibson SG standard instead.

7. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Let's see now

SG Standard: cost approx. $1300 US

Apple watch: cost average $500

What am I missing?

8. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Yeah I can no longer justify it. The one I wanted will end up being almost $1000. I was considering the low end model, but that would highly depend on 3rd party bands because I am not liking the sport bands at all.

9. ksuyen macrumors 6502a

ksuyen

You are missing 800 dollars? :D

Joking aside, I never worn any watch and if I am going to start now that is because of Apple Watch. Don't you think that is revolutionary?

10. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It's actually more like $1870 - I did not pay that however. It's the standard not the special.

http://www.amazon.com/2015-Gibson-S...62694&sr=8-1&keywords=2015+gibson+sg+standard

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-2015-SG-Standard-Electric-Guitar-110607298-i3870917.gc

You can play the guitar. It lasts more than 18 hours. It's never obsolete. It's fun - I love playing it. I can't put it down. Playing this beautiful peace of art is like having a constant human fluid release lol. Looking at it gives me pleasure and it livens up my living room.

Sometimes it's not about cost and more about what can it do for me?

I named 6 things that guitar does for me. What does the apple watch do for you that is not redundant on your iphone?

----------

Also. The watch I wanted would have cost:

watch $1100
    Apple care: $100

$1200

For a watch. It's a watch that last 18 hours maybe.

If you're an engineer and working 24 hour shifts because something broke this watch is useless.

11. technosix macrumors 6502a

Six months from now when the novelty has worn off, owners are struggling with buggy software and very short battery life, you're going to be thrilled you decided to wait.

I happen to think based on years of learning the hard way, buying Apple first gen products, that waiting is a wonderful idea. :)

----------

I have a friend that bought that same model. It's gorgeous and it sounds terrific. :)

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There's the power reserve mode that can last 72 hours so no more useless than your dumbwatch.

13. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I was happy the SS was exactly $200 more than the Sport. If it had been just $100 different it would have been difficult getting it quickly. Now I am going back and forth between the SS Sport Band and the SS Link. I know I will end up getting the link but I may want to save the $400 right before vacation.

If the SS Sport is back ordered but the link is available for first shipment then Link it will be.

14. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

If everyone thought like them, there would be no 2nd gen anything to buy. ;)

15. KPOM macrumors G5

Why not get the $349 Sport and a $149 Milanese loop or $249 leather band?

You can probably get $20 on eBay or the Marketplace for each of the sport bands that come with the base Watch as well. I'm planning to get the $1049 space black with link band, but will be scouring the Marketplace for a sport band.

16. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It is not an Apple tradition. Improvements over time have been happing since the wheel was invented. Sure you can forgo buying and wait for an improved version. Or you can buy the current version and enjoy while waiting on the next improvements. I going the latter and since Apple products have high resale value and demand, it won't cost that much.

Enjoy your year or two bench warming.:D

17. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Yes some of us don't care. We'll enjoy our new apple watches and next year when a better one comes out we'll give them to loved one's or sell them for about what we paid...... and then buy the new better one. Buying a new one is in no way "risky"... you think they will self destruct or something?

----------

But the third watch will be better than the second so they should wait.... but the fourth will be better..... but......

18. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

This probably sounds arrogant, but the Stainless Steel models are cheaper than I imagined.

I got caught up in the rumours, and was expecting to pay £800 - £1000 for the watch I want, and was pleasantly surpised to find it's 'just' £599.

19. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Exactly this.... at least some get it.

I too was thinking about the SS because of the sapphire glass and of course because it's SS.... BUT I don't like shiny metal and would only go for the black but am not going to pay the price asked for the black SS. If the standard SS was bead blasted that would be sweet but alas I'll get the black sports watch and be 100% satisfied.

20. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

The more expensive bands are more expensive than I expected, but the base stainless steel model hit most predictions, and the price of the sports watch we knew already of course - well, the small one anyway, and as many suspected 50 bucks more for the larger it wasn't a very big surprise when they announced the larger is 50 bucks extra... ;)

As I was interested in either the sport Watch or stainless with either elastomer or classic bands the price ended up (roughly) where I expected. Leather is a bit more expensive, but hey. It's Apple, they're not gonna give away anything for free here. :p

21. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'm not buying one straight away because I think the next generation will be better, I'm still not convinced the first one is that great. :D

I'm going to be relying on the feedback from the early adopters to convince me it's actually worth getting.

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You know objective feedback is hard to come by on a forum. You either get fan-boy or haters. I bet (just my lunch money) you get tempted and have one in less than 3 months.:D

23. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My main interest in the :apple:Watch is for mountain biking so I'll be taking more advice from the cycling forums than I will be from MacRumors.

I hope you are a big eater because I previously managed to hold out until the iPhone 3G and iPad 2 before taking the plunge. :p

24. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I was hoping to spend under $550. I will be getting the SS with the stock sport band and AC+, so probably closer to $700+ :(

----------

The bands were also higher than I expected, so I will keep the sport band initially.

----------

My gut tells me forums are blowing the demand for the watch out of proportions. I know exactly zero people in real life who plan to pre-order the watch other than myself.

25. Tar Sniffer macrumors 6502

I had my eye on the SS version with link bracelet but I was only prepared to pay $650 max. At $1400 I've lost all interest and have no desire to purchase the sports model since it will feel like a step down in quality from my current SS watch. Now I'm just going to observe how the watch sells and see what the 2016 version brings.