not starting or charging

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by VintageMac, Jan 3, 2011.

1. VintageMac macrumors regular

As of this morning my black 3.5 year old MacBook will not start or charge. The little green/orange light does not come light on the charger cable. I tried cleaning the connectors even though they appeared clean. Last evening the charger cut in and out as it was charging. Any ideas?

Vintage

2. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Sounds like its either the logic board or power cable. Try another cable and if that doesn't work its internal to the system.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. VintageMac, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

VintageMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tips. Update--

This morning I was able to try a friend's charger from her 15" MBP (mine is a 13" MB). I was able to start my MB, but the battery would not charge. It died instantly when I removed the cable. Also, her charger light only glowed green as though it was fully charged. My charger would not work on her MBP, although that may be because my charger is from a 13" and they are not to be used that direction, but the 15" will work on the 13", correct? Any other thoughts? I will contact the Apple store.

Vintage

5. VintageMac thread starter macrumors regular

Final update--

I've had Macs since my first Mac 128, but this was my first trip to the Genius Bar. Justin was quite helpful. Both the charger (short in the wire at the connector end of the cable) and the battery (1202 cycles) were bad. Strange that they both went at the same time. He gave me a new charger since we had bought this replacement 5 months ago. All is well.

Vintage