Not subscribed to cellular data service after update to IOS 4.2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kashika, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Kashika macrumors regular

Hello, after updating last night I couldn't get a 3G connection anymore.

Wifi works, but no GPRS or 3G. It gives me the message: ''could not activate cellular data service''.

I am also unable to install a APN (I googled and found that as a solution), because it states I already have one installed (there is no APN installed...).
    So that's a problem too.

I have my Log here below

Can someone please help me?

Attached Files:

• LOG.txt
      File size:
      97 KB
      Views:
  2. VIDALGOUDET macrumors newbie

Solution

Step 1:
    Windows Users: Navigate to "X:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup"

Mac Users: Navigate to "~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup/"

NOTE: "X:" is the drive you installed Windows on and "User Name" is the name of your account on Windows.

Step 2:
    Move all Backup files to another location to make sure the entire folder is empty.

Step 3:
    Plug in your iPhone and perform a full backup.

Step 4:
    After backup completes, disconnect the iPhone and copy the new folder under the backup directory to a separate location perferably named "Old" for ease of use.

Step 5:
    After folder completes the copying delete it from the backup directory, NOT THE NEW LOCATION.

Step 6:
    Plug in your iPhone and perform a full restore.

Step 7:
    Upon completion of restore if iTunes asks to restore from a backup that you select a new configuration. While configuring the iPhone for new settings uncheck all sync boxes including Applications and Data. <-- (IMPORTANT)

Step 8:
    Right click the iPhone and backup the iPhone.

Step 9:
    Upon backup completion copy the new backup folder out of the previously mentioned location and copy it to a folder called "New".

Step 10:
    Delete the backup that was recently created in the Backup folder.

Step 11:
    Copy the backup located in the previously created "Old" folder to the Backup folder.

Step 12:
    Upon completion of the copy go into the randomly named folder and delete a file named "8218978e4ab0a48035bb92653145a6be872ea858", then right click the iPhone in iTunes and select "Restore from Backup" and select "Ok" since this is the only backup in the folder.

Step 13:
    Upon backup restoration completion let your iPhone sync itself with the computer and restore all of your applications. (At this point all is back to what it was like at the beginning of Step 1.)

Step 14:
    After all of your Applications are synced navigate into the "New" folder and into the backup folder located inside of it, it will be named as a random string of numbers and letters.

Step 15:
    Copy and overwrite the following files from the randomly named backup in the "New" folder to the "MobileSync\Backup\Randomly Named Backup" folder; "Manifest.mbdb", "Manifest.mbdx", and "Manifest.plist", they are located near the very bottom if sorted by name.

Step 16:
    In iTunes right click the iPhone and "Restore Backup" once again since this is the only backup available, click ok.

Step 17:
    iTunes will display an error and reboot the iPhone, this is normal.

Step 18:
    Upon boot of the iPhone, check your Cellular Data, MMS, and VVM to verify all is working fine.

Step 19:
    If all is working, delete any backup located in the "MobileSync" folder and perform a full backup again. As stated before, your camera roll will not work anymore for your old files. The files appear to be present on the iPhone but are corrupt and will be overwritten when a new photo is taken.
    Enjoy your fully functioning iPhone once again and please keep your OLD backup files as I am not sure if the App Data will backup now. I will have to continue more testing with this.

THE ONLY PROBLEM WILL BE YOUR CAMARA ROLL WILL DISSAPEAR, AND ALSO AFTER AN UPDATE YOULL HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN... (JUST HAPPENED TO ME AFTER GETTING TO 4.2) AND FINALLY I DONT KNOW WHY BUT YOU CANNOT INSTALL A NEW APN IT SAYS YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE... BUT DONT WORRY THIS WORKS

3. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

If resetting your network settings doesn't fix the issue, I would just restore the phone as new.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

yes I am

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you had software unlocked and jb your phone, you're SOL.
    You upgraded your phone to a baseband where there is no software unlock available. Ultrasnow isn't even available for the baseband for 4.1.

Hope you're happy with an iPod touch.

7. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

I upgraded from 4.1 IOS. It wasn't jailbreaked. So that comment is quite irrelevant.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It appears that you didn't read the log file correctly. The OP is in The Netherlands, where T-Mobile is the official operator.

Apparently it's not picking up the carrier settings correctly. You may need to restore the phone.

9. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I got it working thanks to VIDALGOUDET.
    I've already done those steps in the past, so it was familiar for me.

I have in the past, used a fake APN. Because I could not turn of GPRS back then (didn't have mobile internet yet) and otherwise browsing would sometimes cost me.
    Strange enough the device says there is no APN installed, but since I updated to 4.0 then it got rid of that setting while it had a fake APN installed.
    No idea what to do about that then, but it works for now.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

When I replied, I was reading this on my iphone; it wouldn't let me open the log file.

11. justinmaller macrumors newbie

I've had this issue before. Someone named Loveturtle on the apple boards solved for me. I quote his excellent solution (remedies issue with no data loss) below. Less steps than the one above as well!

I DID IT! I ROCK! I AM AWESOME! LET ME SHARE MY AWESOMENESS WITH YOU!

Solved! I have completely fixed this problem without losing any data (not that i've noticed yet anyway).

First, let me summarize the problem and briefly address the known solutions. There are multiple issues people are having with the update that -HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH OUR PROBLEM-. Some people had theirs in airplane mode which apparently gives them a "no sim card" after update. not our problem. Some people can reset settings not our problem.

Our problem is corrupt APN settings after an upgrade, which can be worked around by installing mobileconfig updates or using the "iPhone Configuration Utility" to temporarily overwrite our APN settings. This is a temp fix that only makes 3g work, no MMS or Visual Voicemail.

We know that completely restoring the phone and setting it up as new resolves the problem. A lot of us are unable to restore any backups without re-introducing the bug. A lot of us do not want to lose our app data so setting up as new phone is out of the question. Some people have figured out how to set up as new phone and import SMS messages from corrupt backup to new backup. This is a good solution if SMS is the only thing you want…However, some of us want ALL our app data.

Now for the solution! First, go in to settings on your phone and uninstall any custom profile you may have installed to temporarily fix the APN.

Now, perform a full backup of your phone (you may want to delete your previous backups or move them out of the directory so that you're not confused with multiple backup files in your backup directory.

Go to your backup directory ~/Library/Application\ Support/MobileSync/Backup/random-backup-name-here/ and delete this file 8218978e4ab0a48035bb92653145a6be872ea858
    That file contains our corrupted APN information.

Now RESTORE YOUR PHONE and restore the backup. It will fully restore and then give you an error, ignore the error, it worked. Sync your phone to get all your apps back. 3g works, visual voicemail works, mms works, and i have ALL of my app data! all my contacts, all my photos, all my sms messages! BAM! I RULE!

If for some reason you don't have that file in your backup directory (i have no idea, maybe they are named differently with different backups) you can find it by entering the backup directory in the terminal and running the following

for i in * ; do echo "checking $i" ; strings $i | grep -i com.apple ; done >> output.txt

open output.txt and search for CommCenter you'll see something like
    checking 8218978e4ab0a48035bb92653145a6be872ea858
    <string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>

The file above "<string>com.apple.CommCenter</string>" is the file you want to delete.

12. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, so I've been having the same problems again as of today.

I've done no update or anything. The above methods I've tried, but it didn't help.

If I set it up as a new phone, my 3G internet does work. I've deleted the corrupt APN file and then restored that particular backup. Still doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to import all my app data and SMS texts from my backup files? I want my 3G to work again, but keep all my data. The above method should've let me have this, but it does not work anymore.

13. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry for bumping this thread, but it's relevant to my problem.

This problem keeps recurring at random intervals. I have no idea why or how. Is there anyone who has any idea how to fix this without restoring my iPhone as new? Would like to keep my data and stuff.

14. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Try resetting your network settings. Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings. It would also be helpful, if you would tell us what you have tried. Is this occurring from one tower only? Does this happen when you turn off 3G?

15. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

It has something to do with me doing an APN setting back when I had ios 3. That setting got removed from ios4 and I couldn't remove it in my iPhone anymore.
    I've already tried resetting network settings, it didn't help sadly. And what do you mean one tower? If you mean different area's, then yes it applies to anywhere I go.
    This happens regardless of turning 3G on or off. It's completely random, usually a few months in between.

16. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

It's been a year now and this problem still persists.

Every few months my phone suddenly isn't subscribed to a cellular data network anymore. I need to follow the steps described above (whipe phone, restore and delete a few files from the backup) to make it working again.

This is very annoying, since my phone does this randomly.

I thought a possible fix could be downgrading it to ios 3 and then removing the fake APN.
    Would that work? And does anyone know of a way to downgrade to ios 3 easily?

17. Kashika thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, getting this problem every day now. This is getting annoying.

Is there no proper fix for this? This morning I woke up to my iPhone not having sound. Then it couldn't connect to wifi, but 3G did work.
    So I restarted it. No more cellular data network.

What, the, Hell.

It's such a weird problem and all because of me installing a fake apn in IOS3.
    I cannot uninstall the current APN even when I try installing a new one. It tells me that an APN is already installed. When I go back I have the option of removing my current one. And it tells me there is no current one.

Bah.