Not sure about "Magic Pad"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bmilsss, Jul 27, 2010.

1. bmilsss macrumors newbie

Can someone please give me a reason why people would want/need this?

I remain unconvinced.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

You may want to read this thread.

I ordered one today. I simply cannot wait.

3. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

i was so excited when i woke up and saw the magic pad i ordered mine to ship next day:D

4. Prettyboyian macrumors newbie

i got one from the fifth ave store in nyc and i have it. they havent released the software yet so i am stuck until later tonight when they release the magicpad software update. its build quality is good solid much bigger than i expected and its great

[​IMG]

5. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Not to worry, Steve will explain why soon.

6. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Maybe it's for someone who likes a trackpad better than a mouse?

Maybe for drawing Asian characters with your fingers? Or just doodling in general?
    Up till now that wasn't possible on an iMac, Mini or Mac Pro, only on the laptops.
    Well, not possible with something bought from Apple that is. ;)

Just buy one. I'm sure you'll love it. In a week or two you'll wonder how you ever lived without one. :D

Have Fun,
    Keri

7. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

wait what, the release the product but not the drivers to make it work :confused:

8. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Pretty much. But the update also gives older model MB/MBPs inertial scrolling and three-finger drag capabilities. Which is pretty dang awesome.

9. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

They are cool i guess, but i'd rather just have a decent mouse and a wacom.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Drivers have landed. I am hooked on multitouch. If you spend anytime in iPhoto and Safari this is a mouse replacement.

11. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

I'm trying to convince myself I need it.

I loved the trackpad on my Macbook Pro, but since I already use a Magic Mouse with my desktop, I don't know if I have much need for the trackpad.

12. dangerfish macrumors 6502

I LOVE my track pad. The Magic Mouse is good but the track pad is so much better. I love the track pad built into my MacBook pro so much that I have been waiting for a product that would allow me to ditch the mouse on my desktop. The Magic Trackpad fits the bill. For my needs, the trackpad works better and is easier to use than a mouse. I use it in conjunction with BTT. The options for things that you can do with it are almost endless. It probably is not a good option for someone doing detailed design work, but for general use, I think it is superior. The mouse is heading the way of the floppy.

13. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I will be buying a magic trackpad for my Mac Pro (will use it with my mbp as well while traveling) as soon as I can!

The trackpad is amazing with the multi touch gestures, and best of all my hands and wrists never hurt with prolonged use on the mbp trackpad. Whereas my expensive logitech mouse, and a trackball causes me pain after half an hour of usage. But dang, it is pretty expensive... $50usd would be more reasonable. :) I will still use my cordless trackball and Wacom for design/photo work, and the mouse for gaming, but for everything else, I will use the trackpad on my Mac Pro.

14. leehal macrumors member

Picked mine up from Apple Store in Newcastle, bought it on a whim and think it is fantastic, so much easier to use than a mouse, it just feels 'right'.

If you aren't sure, try one out and I am sure you will be converted.

15. lilo777 macrumors 603

Perhaps you just were not satisfied with Magic Mouse because it's lame? Now you are trying another lame Apple input device (laptop trackpads are good though). Just get a real mouse and enjoy. You do not have to buy Apple exclusively. ;)

16. kwarren Guest

I just got my Magic Pad and I can firmly say it is the best peripheral I've ever used. With the aid of BTT, I now only touch my keyboard to type because everything is mapped to app-specific gestures.

17. Aaron J macrumors newbie

LOVE MINE!!! As someone said, you HAVE to use it to understand why it is so cool!! You feel more in-touch with your screen and everything is so slick and easy. No more side-to-side wrist action with the TP, just finger movements. I also bought it on a whim and I absolutely love it.

18. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

I always wanted a device like this for reasons I couldn't articulate. After using mine today though I really just didn't like it. Just not comfortable to use and secondary click functions are not easy. Going back tomorrow. Magic Mouse wins for me.

19. kwarren Guest

Man, before you do this, get BetterTouchTool and program some custom gestures. I promise you will notice how much more efficient you are with it!

20. UltimaLink macrumors regular

Magic Pad?

God that sounds more suggestive than the iPad.

21. lilo777 macrumors 603

Could not we always do this with Ctrl-<key>, F<number> etc.?

22. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Ummm, perhaps not but thanks for the advice.
    Never said I wasnt satisfied with the Magic Mouse. In fact, I really liked it. But the Magic Track Pad is amazing.
    I have tried plenty of mice: MS, Logitech, Targus, Apple. They are a dying breed. Touch is the future.
    You made the comment that the Apple track pad is good, but then surmise that the Magic Track Pad is lame. Have you used it? You do understand that they are essentially the same device?
    The MTP in combination with BTT is an amazing duo. I dont game and dont do detailed design work so I dont a precision input device. If you do, then you need a good mouse. But for general usability, touch is where it is at. The possibilities of what can be done with a touch interface are nearly endless.

Enjoy your mouse.
    :)

23. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Absolutely.
    But now you can do even more, even faster with even less effort.

24. lilo777 macrumors 603

How is this any more than what we had? With regular 3 button mouse, without any extra buttons, we can always use combinations of Ctrl/Alt/Shift + MB1/2/3. There are 24 combinations which is probably more than any touch interface can do without going into really weird and uncomfortable gestures.

25. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac