not sure about MBP with Retina anymore.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kkasaye, Jun 13, 2012.

1. kkasaye macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I was pretty much sold on getting the macbook pro 15" retina base model but after seeing iFixit's rate of 1/10 on fix-ability, I don't know if i want it anymore, seeing as I'm going to be using it for 3-5 years and it could break in that time. I could just go for the macbook air maxed out on the apple store. I'm using it for university, gaming, video editing and some minor music production. Could someone help me with this dilemma?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You do realize that iFixIt is referring to user fixability, right? That doesn't imply that Apple would have a problem repairing it. Most users wouldn't attempt to perform repairs themselves on such a computer, anyway. That certainly isn't a valid reason not to buy it.

3. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Main reason not to buy it would be price.

Not many people fix such a laptop by themselves.

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

All the reason to get APPLECARE!!! Will definitely be worth the purchase, cause you definitely don't want this thing breaking down on you

5. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol, it's like money grows on trees for some of you people.

6. Martialis macrumors member

http://www.apple.com/support/products/

----------

You do understand that the hardware support through Applecare is a major selling point of Macs for many of us, right? You do understand that Applecare is a negligible fraction of the overall cost of a Mac, right?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, you buy AppleCare because money doesn't grow on trees! It's a lot cheaper than replacing a logic board out of pocket.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

If you're willing to drop that much cash on a computer, you should also be willing to buy Applecare. It's going to be very difficult for users to fix the retina MBP if something goes wrong, but Applecare will make sure that Apple is there to take care of it for you for 3 years. The peace of mind is worth the price on pretty much any notebook, but especially on one that you won't be able to repair on your own.

9. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Oh I'm well aware, it's just the cavalier way he said it.

In my opinion though, a $2,000+ computer should come with a warranty longer than 1 year.

----------

Negligible?

It costs $250 bucks on Apple's site.

Unless they've changed the definition of negligible in the past 24 hours, I'm going to say you're using the word wrong.

10. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I get that impression everywhere around here. I can't browse more then 3 threads before someone comments about something money related that screams "I'm rich!"

OP: I heard the RMBP's have RAM soldered into the board, as well as difficult battery gluing, along with custom apple bolts. All in all, not very custom-friendly or self-fix friendly. Personally I think Apple screwed up quite a bit here.

11. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

The macbook air isn't that much different in from the retina pro in terms of stuff breaking or if you want to upgrade something.. it's not possible (dno if flash is still upgradable on the air though.)

12. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Ignorant post! Everyone knows that AppleCare is by far the best laptop warranty you can buy. No other brand even matches Apple based on service support and customer service.

If you can afford a $2200 laptop another $250 (buy it on ebay and save $100) shouldn't be a major problem to insure your product for 3 years!!

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am still undecided...

I really need to see how laggy it is with UI. HD 4000 isn't up to task for 2800 X1800 resolution.

Most of 3rd party apps are not ready for 2800 X1800 resolutions. By around next year, it will be ready for next hardware upgrade. Waiting... waiting.

14. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Buying it on eBay isn't the best solution...lots of people have gotten ripped off that way. But you can still get discounted prices on it through several well-known resellers.

15. MR1324 macrumors 6502

16. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Laggy because the system is rendering at 3840 x 2400 max before scaling down?

If you're really this undecided, buy yourself the non-Retina MBPs and let the trailblazers sort out the mess. There is no point worrying about something that may or may not exist.