not sure -- Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fortheloveofmac, Jul 30, 2011.

1. fortheloveofmac macrumors member

I've been reading about Google Chrome, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong area or this question has been posted before but when I searched, I found issues with it, not so much answering my question. Please move me if necessary and I'm sorry for bothering! Anyway, I'm still new to my MBP and though I've had no issues with Safari in Lion, I wondered if I should install Google Chrome? Would I have to uninstall Safari if I do? What is the difference? Should I not try to fix what's not broken? Just wondering. I want to get the most out of my Mac :). Also, I had many bad experiences with Firefox, so that's a lost option cause haha. Thank you in advance!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You don't have to uninstall one browser to use another
    You can have multiples open

I use Chrome myself, with Lion
    There are some updates coming, but so far I have no issues
    I am not a big gestures guy though

Welcome to the Forum

3. winston1236 macrumors 68000

i have safari, opera, firefox, and chrome often times open all at the same time doing browser compatibility checks for my site.

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I also use safari, chrome, and firefox. But chrome is my primary browser now...firefox way to bloated imo.

5. fortheloveofmac thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the welcome!

What is the need for numerous browers? (Not asking in a negative manner, asking legit what the needs might be). It's good to hear of other people that AREN'T having issues with Lion either!

What are the major differences between Google Chrome and Safari? Other than alleged speed? Mine seems ridiculously quick already! Even my boyfriend, who asked me to look up something, was shocked at how fast it loaded.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use mostly Firefox or Chrome, but sometimes use Opera.
    I almost never use Safari - back when I was on Windows I used Firefox, so when I switched I kept firefox cause I was used to it and I liked the ability to show bookmarks on the side. Safari never really worked for me.

Some websites only work well on a particular browser, so that's why I keep all 4 browsers up to date. I have plenty of room on the HDD.

7. fortheloveofmac thread starter macrumors member

Firefox always crashed on me and nothing seemed to load. Maybe it was the POS I used to have, haha. But, is the only major difference then, what runs better on it? Do you mean like games, movies...?

8. jbouklas macrumors regular

I've shuffled around between browsers for years, and have settled on Chrome for the last year or two. But after installing Lion, I find myself using Safari as my main browser for the first time since it pretty much came out.

Full screen mode, along with the ability to swipe back a page without it reloading, is what brought me back. But two extensions/mods really help: Safari Omnibar and ClickToPlugin.

Chrome sometimes gets buggy, and Firefox is way too slow.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Never had a crash from Firefox, either under OSx or Windows. By different websites I mean some websites tend to not quite follow the HTML specs properly. I don't do games or windows under firefox.

I think a lot of the choice in browser is personal choice.

10. fortheloveofmac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, guys. I'm starting to get way more -in the know- about the alternate universe that is Mac. I've been poking around here in my free time wondering how I could have missed all this information. I guess it's more of a need to know type thing with a Mac. PCs just happen.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are probably still some apps that come with OSx that I've never been interested in. I still discover new things about the OS on a regular basis.

12. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Chrome Canary supports gestures for left-right/back-forward, the two finger one... The public release supports it with three fingers but that also changes your swipe between spaces gesture and three finger drag. Currently the gesture doesnt match the Safari way Swipe Right = Go Backwards, Chrome Canary is Swipe Right = Go Forwards...but its nice to at least have the gesture.