Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I have a few simpletech external hard drives and I have debating on upgrading my hard drive on my Macbook for sometime now.

Simpletech uses major brands for the drive, but use their own enclosure. For example, my 250 and 320 gb drives use a Western Digital drive and my 500 gb is a Hitachi drive. I got these drives really cheap and I like the looks of them. Anyway, if I pull the drive from the enclosure, I know that I will void the warranty with Simpletech. But...will I have any type of warranty from the actual drive manufacturer? Will Hitachi honor the warranty if I put the 500 gb in my laptop? I just read that the Macbook aluminum holds the 12.5mm drive and this will save me some money ordering a new drive.

I have the 1tb Buffalo mini NAS, but it would be nice to have more space and take more movies with me without the need to download/stream.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I have a few simpletech external hard drives and I have debating on upgrading my hard drive on my Macbook for sometime now.

Simpletech uses major brands for the drive, but use their own enclosure. For example, my 250 and 320 gb drives use a Western Digital drive and my 500 gb is a Hitachi drive. I got these drives really cheap and I like the looks of them. Anyway, if I pull the drive from the enclosure, I know that I will void the warranty with Simpletech. But...will I have any type of warranty from the actual drive manufacturer? Will Hitachi honor the warranty if I put the 500 gb in my laptop? I just read that the Macbook aluminum holds the 12.5mm drive and this will save me some money ordering a new drive.

I have the 1tb Buffalo mini NAS, but it would be nice to have more space and take more movies with me without the need to download/stream.

I would assume that your warranty would still exist. However you have to make sure the Drive is a 2.5 drive otherwise it will not work in the MacBook. I'm also not so sure about 12.5mm I only thought it could take 9.5mm but correct me if i'm wrong.

lidomkj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
They are 2.5 drives. I should have mentioned that since they also make 3.5 desktop models also. These are the small portable USB drives without any external power, not the large ones that have the external power supply and use 3.5 drives.

I did not think the 12.5 would work until I read in a few other posts that it would work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.