Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smuxyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
My iPhone usually gets around 2 bars of signal when I'm in my room. EDIT: I'm talking about wifi signal here. Cell signal is 5/5 all the time.

I'm unsure if its due to the other devices of the wifi connection or the iPhone has a wifi issue. Both my MacBook Pro and iPad doesn't have any sort of problem and receives full signal. My previous iPhone 4S also had full signal. It has also occoured that my iPhone 5 doesn't find the wifi at all - but only in my room.

However, when ever I walk into the living room (where the router is located) I receive full signal. It never drops down to 2 bars and it never goes on to the 3G signal.

Also, I was at a friends house the other day where I was about the same distance from the router at his house (as I am from mine at home in my room) and there was no problems at all.

Any ideas what this could be?

Last edited:

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
My iPhone usually gets around 2 bars of signal when I'm in my room.

I'm unsure if its due to the other devices of the wifi connection or the iPhone has a wifi issue. Both my MacBook Pro and iPad doesn't have any sort of problem and receives full signal. My previous iPhone 4S also had full signal. It has also occoured that my iPhone 5 doesn't find the wifi at all - but only in my room.

However, when ever I walk into the living room (where the router is located) I receive full signal. It never drops down to 2 bars and it never goes on to the 3G signal.

Also, I was at a friends house the other day where I was about the same distance from the router at his house (as I am from mine at home in my room) and there was no problems at all.

Any ideas what this could be?
Seems some people are having issues with Wi-Fi signal strength on the iPhone 5. I wouldn't think about it too much though. If still works and never disconnects, then it's fine.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
If the wifi performance is substantially different than your 4S I would take it in for a checkup. To eliminate if it's the wifi issue affecting other's iPhones, put your router on no encryption or WEP and see if the problem goes away.

Personally if the speed is unaffected I don't worry about the displayed signal strength. You can make a wifi heatmap with your Mac Book to see the coverage. I assume your not using 5mHz on the iPhone 5 which skews the omparison.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Have you tried rebooting your wifi router? Once a month I reboot mine, and it can clear up some issues

smuxyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
If the wifi performance is substantially different than your 4S I would take it in for a checkup. To eliminate if it's the wifi issue affecting other's iPhones, put your router on no encryption or WEP and see if the problem goes away.

Personally if the speed is unaffected I don't worry about the displayed signal strength. You can make a wifi heatmap with your Mac Book to see the coverage. I assume your not using 5mHz on the iPhone 5 which skews the omparison.

There is only a significant difference when I'm in my room. My 4S had full wifi signal at all times and my 5 only has around 2 and at very few times the full 3 bars - but when I walk into the living room (about 4-5 steps from my door) it receives full signal instantly and it never drops down.

Have you tried rebooting your wifi router? Once a month I reboot mine, and it can clear up some issues

I'm not a technology genius so I'm only cable of turning it off and on. Is that enough?

edk

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
I have this issue. With my ip4, I used to get 1>2 bars of wifi in my kitchen. Surfing could work, but could also be slow.

With the ip5, same setup - I get 0>1, and most of the time, it doesn't work.

:(

weeble8604

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
My i5 was only showing 1 bar full no matter what wifi network I was connected to. Even if I was right next to the router at my house, only 1 bar. I restarted my phone (for the first time since I've gotten the thing) and now it shows full bars on all the wifi networks that were just showing 1 before.

Not really sure how this helps but it seems relevant. On a side note, how often should I turn off the phone and reboot?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
There is only a significant difference when I'm in my room. My 4S had full wifi signal at all times and my 5 only has around 2 and at very few times the full 3 bars - but when I walk into the living room (about 4-5 steps from my door) it receives full signal instantly and it never drops down.

I'm not a technology genius so I'm only cable of turning it off and on. Is that enough?

Lmao just unplug the power cord from the router and hold the power button on your router for 30 seconds (if there is one) to drain out all the power, if not just leave it unplugged for 1 minute

smuxyz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Lmao just unplug the power cord from the router and hold the power button on your router for 30 seconds (if there is one) to drain out all the power, if not just leave it unplugged for 1 minute

I will try that then :)

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
similar issue with me and my wife's iphone 5 last night. our router is in the next room and she lost all wifi bars all of a sudden and my phone had only 1 wifi bar. internet seemed to work though and both ipads had full wifi bars. We both rebooted iphone and got all the bars back on restart. dont know why it happened but it was odd

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
i will drop wifi sometimes during the day when im in my house, but not really.. the only problem that i seem to be having is sometimes the wifi takes a long time to come to my phone...like i will be browsing through the web and its super fast, whatever instantenous almost, and then when i will click to the next website etc, it will slow down drastically for 10 seconds then pick up and go fast again its strange

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The problem with my i5 is that it connects fine and shows signal ok.
But after a few minutes it wont pull any data at all. It will just freeze as if the wifi has no internet and I cant open any sites or load anything. It does it here and there to almost every wifi I tried connecting from open to locked networks. All other devices, laptops and so on connnect fine and use data fine but my i5 will not pull any data while connected.
Very weird.
I wouldnt care so much about the signal displayed as long as I can use data while on wifi. Now I gotta keep turning wifi off and use carrier data instead to do anything on the phone.
Pisses me off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.