Not sure if I should get Pixelmator or Photoshop CC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AndreYonadam, Jan 1, 2014.

1. AndreYonadam macrumors newbie

Hey guys I'm pretty sure you know that Photoshop CC is only 10$ a month right now and Its probably the last few hours of the promotion and I was wondering if I should get that or Pixelmator which is only $30 one time. I'm only 18 and don't have a job yet so Photoshop is buyable but I would defiantly consider value. I mean Pixelmator has almost everything I need except the 3d settings that come with Photoshop, Photoshop's nice interface, and I'm in a multimedia class in school so I'm already very familiar with the Photoshop. I've also tested and got familiar to Pixelmator with its trial. The question is should I get Photoshop or Pixelmator?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Only you can decide if Pixelmator will do what you need. But it would save money over time.

3. AndreYonadam thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your suggestion

Thanks. I think pixelmator is a good tool but of course Photoshop is a better tool hands down. All I need to think right now is if Photoshop is worth the extra money and if I need those extra features. I develop applications for Android (starting iOS :)) and need to decide if I actually need the extra tools provided in Photoshop.

4. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

Again, it is entirely dependent on what you use it for, but as a professional UX designer, Pixelmator lack of a true non-destructive workflow makes it a non-starter for me. Using Photoshop for interface is still a bit of a hack, but there are really no other tools (besides the dying Fireworks) that can give me the same results.

5. AndrewJax macrumors newbie

I will strongly advise you to get Photoshop CC. That's what you need if you want reliable application with lots of features.

6. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

After using PS for many years I made the switch to Pixelmator and I'm very happy with it. It's faster and does everything I need for high quality image manipulation and repairs. I do all my own design work for my business including business cards, posters, postcards and web all using Pixelmator and the result is just as good as though I used PS.

You can take a look at some of the images I've created using Pixelmator on my site http://www.benveenkamp.com

7. Wahlstrm macrumors 6502a

Wahlstrm

I have both..

Never used Pixelmator even once in my year of ownership..

Liked their youtube videos and got inspired enough to pay for the app, but photoshop is home :)