Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Walkren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
California
Well last night my jailbroken 3g iphone started acting very slow, with delayed responses. Then it just turned off. Every time I try to turn it back on I see the silver Apple logo, and then it turns off about 10 seconds after. The only time iTunes recognizes it is when it is in recovery mode.

My friend who's pretty good with iPhones is saying that it's bricked, and I need to restore it. However, I need to get my Notes on there back. I know if I restore my phone I will lose contacts and stuff, but will that include Notes? My last back up was about 4 months ago, btw.

Another friend is telling me to take it to the Apple Store. I'm over-due on an update so they can just transfer all the info to the iPhone 4 - including Notes. However my phone is jailbroken, and my warranty expired around January. Will they still fix it or am I SOL? Also does anyone know if Notes save into the SIM or phone? I'm assuming phone.

Thanks in advance!

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
Well last night my jailbroken 3g iphone started acting very slow, with delayed responses. Then it just turned off. Every time I try to turn it back on I see the silver Apple logo, and then it turns off about 10 seconds after. The only time iTunes recognizes it is when it is in recovery mode.

My friend who's pretty good with iPhones is saying that it's bricked, and I need to restore it. However, I need to get my Notes on there back. I know if I restore my phone I will lose contacts and stuff, but will that include Notes? My last back up was about 4 months ago, btw.

Another friend is telling me to take it to the Apple Store. I'm over-due on an update so they can just transfer all the info to the iPhone 4 - including Notes. However my phone is jailbroken, and my warranty expired around January. Will they still fix it or am I SOL? Also does anyone know if Notes save into the SIM or phone? I'm assuming phone.

Thanks in advance!

ok the jailbreak wont make a difference if your phones out of warranty. but the notes are on the phone not the sim. you should try to backup the phone yourself if you can then you will get the notes. if you can get the phone running long enough you can send the notes to yourself through email. if your friend is really that good with iPhones he should know its not bricked. but a restore could help you. if you restore you will lose everything on your phone so make every attempt to get your data off the phone first. and if you still cant get it take it to the apple store as is and let them try. you would be surprised to find out how many Apple Employees have their iPhones jailbroke. so unless you have a warranty issue its really no biggie to most of them!

Walkren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
California
Alright I'll try that, but I can't seem to get it running as it doesn't go past the silver logo, and I can't back it up while it is in recovery mode.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
download tinyumbrella. there is an option to kick out of recovery. if you can get lucky and it sees it this may help you. its free and worth a shot.

johnoporritt

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Alright I'll try that, but I can't seem to get it running as it doesn't go past the silver logo, and I can't back it up while it is in recovery mode.

I got the same problem so I just kept turning it on until the battery ran
Out then I just charged it and it cane on. Not sure whether it will work for you but it's worth a shot. Btw it took me 2 days to kill the battery

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.