Not sure if I should trust this person

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by upsguy27, Jun 25, 2008.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I received a PM about someone wanting to trade my iPod Touch for a BB Curve and some cash, but I'm not sure if I can trust them. They just signed up today on MR, which makes me think that their either a scammer or simply someone who browses the forums and created an account because he wanted my iPT. He gave me his email address, I'm not sure if I can trust him. What do you guys think?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

If you have any doubt, walk out. Simple as that. Nothing sux more than an uneasy mind regarding any transaction.

4. Hatchet macrumors regular

Seems fishy. I wouldn't deal with him.

5. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Could be anything, but doesn't sound good to me.

6. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Can't really say anything about the guy. But, I would never enter into a transaction if you are not 100% comfortable with the one you're trading with.

7. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I don't know if this is me just thinking this, but he called it an iTouch, and that makes me think that he's less of a scammer and more of a regular user, since it's not a very widespread term (Outside of the Internet).

8. pscoble macrumors 6502

Well, that might be a good sign. Although still if you have any doubts you might want to just walk out like other users said. You will want to be 99% positive things with these things, and if he just joined it is a little if-ey. However, if you have confidence in him and yourself do what you want.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is sort of crap. I know someone who doesn't browse mac forums and calls his iPod touch an itouch.

10. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Meh, just a little bit of hope. What I'm saying is, it doesn't seem like something a scammer would say. I could be wrong though.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Here is the philosophy I live by...well one of the many things I live by...if you have to question it then you probably shouldn't do it.

You're investing a fair amount of time in this guy's PM. I would simply forget it. Somehow it doesn't seem worth it. The iPod Touch is a highly desirable iPod. I wouldn't hesitate in holding out for a better deal..a better feeling deal that is.

12. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

We were all newbies...sorta...

iTouch is just kinda...In my opinion, wrong. But then again I also like to say MacBook Pro and iThink. But it's not a way of testing legitimacy.

13. keehun macrumors regular

I guess this is a rule I've devised while playing dangerously around obvious scammers, etc.

1. Never buy from an unauthorized Apple Reseller (obviously, always try to buy from Apple whenever possible.)
    There are exceptions to non-authorized-resellers:
    1.a. You agree to meet in person, you agree that you can boot up the machines, devices, etc, and try it out, to make sure everything is in working order. Then pay, receive item on spot.
    1.b. You know the person (obviously)...
    1.c. He/She agrees to send it to you before you sending yours. I guess this will never happen, but nonetheless shouldn't be excluded from the exceptions.

By the way, NEVER fall for "Too-Good-To-Be-True" deals. Things like a $1500 NEW 17" Macbook Pro (gasp). It seems "possible" to bring those deals, but don't grab them. Its just not worth your time. And obviously, don't even try getting a $700 NEW MACBOOKPRO 17". Its just total garbage. Though you are more than free to play with them during your free time and tell them, stop trying to make people miserable and make them feel you just wasted a ton of their time. I did that, last night. Some business plainly called "Electronic Places" who don't even have a website, and chatted with me on Yahoo for like 2 hours. Was quite fun ;). Knowing that I won't be victimized and he wasted a ton of his time.

Now, feel free to add on to my list.

Keehun.

14. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Good list. I will follow all of your guys' advice and not do the "trade", and even if it was legit I probably wouldn't have done it anyway since I have no need for a BB Curve on AT&T. :)

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Trust them as far as you can drag the body rolled up in the shower curtain.

16. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Well, he sent me pictures of the BB, and he seems legit. He's offering the BB and $100, or just $300. What do you think?

Anyone? I need to respond to him.

17. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

18. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Aren't you not even allowed to be selling and trading on MR until you have reached 100 posts (soon to be 250 posts)? Unless this guy is spamming the forum, there is no way he can be legitimately trading/buying when he only signed up for one day.
    You don't need to have the device to have a picture. It's called google image.

19. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Ask him for an ebay reference or something...but it does sound pretty sketch.

20. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Well, on the picture, the date on the phone is THU, Jun 26th. So that means they were taken today, at 8:20 PM. seems pretty recent to take them from Google Images, and there are 8 of them, all the same location (on a desk), and it has what I assume is his nickname (has name's brian, on the device it says bri) but that's easily made up. What do you think?

21. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

Ultimately, it's your call. you have to make a decision based on analytical logic + your gut feeling. if both work out...go for it. if only one works out, you have to decide if its a good idea. if neither work out...stay away.

re: logic.
    -why would anyone offer full price for an ipod (rather than buy from the apple store? - where warranty/condition/etc/ are guaranteed
    otoh
    -he could have been lurking for a long time, and finally signed up to communicate with you. may be totally legit. doesnt have an apple store nearby, doesn't want to pay tax/shipping/etc.

i wont sell something on a forum unless
    a) i am pretty certain they are legit (many ways to quantify this, but you need some reassurance...(long term poster, good rep w/ other members, etc.)
    OR
    b) i will be bummed (but not completely devastated) if i get hosed. I've swapped application licenses from software bundles before - and i sent the licensing information in good faith. they could have never sent me their license in return, but I'd only be out a little bit...but an ipod? that'd be rough. cant you find someone local? or wait till you can?

again, ultimately its your call, but there will be others (and given the impending surplus of ipod touches for sale, i would be suspicious of anyone offering full price (either they are hoping you fall for it, or they dont understand market dynamics (of supply/demand).

22. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

True, I asked him if he would send his first, so I can be sure he's legit. If he wants me to send mine first, or both at the same time, then I'll call the whole thing off. Is that a good thing to do?

23. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

If you send your stuff after recieving his trade then its impossible for him to scam you obviously, since you already have what you wanted out of the deal. Its not like he can chargeback a credit card or file a paypal refund when you are trading physical things like cash+phone.

The person who approaches another person for a trade should always send their stuff first.

24. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Right. Okay, that's what I'll do, I'll tell you guys if he agrees to it or not.

25. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I actually got the exact same PM the other day (same trade, etc.)