not sure if i'll really need SR

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iqwerty, May 14, 2007.

1. iqwerty macrumors newbie

hi, this is my first post and i am finally thinking about getting a mac.

i am most likely going to get some kind of laptop and it will probably be a macbook. i'm not going to be doing any sort of gaming on it and ill just be using it for basic ilife applications and email. since thats all im going to be using it for, do i really even need the SR chip or any sort of graphics upgrades like that?

i do expect it to have good performance and last me at least 3 years so i would appreciate any suggestions. thank you.

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Sounds like you really don't need the update, but if you're in no rush, give it until WWDC and buy if an update comes on or before then just because of the resale value. Nobody likes to see their investments depreciate days after they buy them.

3. winchest macrumors regular

I second the above quote. The Macbook C2D might be perfect for you and cheaper than the other Macs. Make sure you are okay with the smaller screen size versus the MBP though. I really like portability, but I do miss the extra screen real estate from time to time. Also a matte display is not an option with the MB so make sure glossy is good for you too.

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I'd say wait and see what the update actually is. If all it is SR, the support of 4GBs of RAM, and a faster FSB, then you definitely wouldn't notice much of an improvement. However, there's a possibility that Apple might introduce some much nicer features, which you might be more interested in.

At worse, waiting will get you the C2D machine at a discount once the SR machines are released.

5. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

6. BigPrince macrumors 68020

This would be like buying a car in November/December of that year instead of the upcoming WITHOUT the HUGE savings.

Just stupid.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wait. C2D MB prices will drop if a new chip comes out, maybe only slightly if it isn't much more of an update.