Not sure if right fan is working...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wariosdabest, Dec 29, 2009.

1. wariosdabest macrumors newbie

Hi, I installed a program called Fan Control because my 13" MacBook Pro was getting really hot (this is my first Mac, I only got it a few days ago).
    I was changing the fan speed and stuff, and after a while I noticed that it said:

Left Fan: 2604 RPM
    Right Fan: -1 RPM

Is this normal or should I take it back?
    Or is the program wrong?

Thanks in advance.

2. fenman macrumors member

The 13" MBP only has one fan IIRC. Also, 2604RPM is a very slow fan speed for a hot laptop, better make sure that fan control sw doesn't grill your MBP.

3. wariosdabest thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I see. Well thank you fenman.

4. wariosdabest thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's on idle.
    When it's encoding and stuff its around 80 C. Is that too hot or alright?

5. fenman macrumors member

I guess it depends on the ambient temperature. If its cool where you are now it may get a lot hotter in the summer. 80C temperature under load is pretty normal for a graphics card I would say if its not gradually creeping up. I know some people who run overclocked GPUs in Windows environment at 95-100C for years and they are fine. You'll notice when it overheats because divers will slow it down and performance will drop sharply, in my experience with laptops it happens only if exhaust gills are full of dust (or if GF8600 is installed:)).

6. jamiroquai1fan macrumors newbie

ill come over sometime during the following week wario (its me huey) and have a look.