Not sure if this is a verizon or iPhone issue...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NjForumRider18, Jun 12, 2012.

1. NjForumRider18 macrumors newbie

Basically every time I use my iphone to do any internet function (safari, facebook, instagram, etc.) the 3g drops down to "o". It is a verizon iPhone, I just got it about 3 weeks ago.

Another issue that I face sometimes is that while my iphone is on the charger, and I'm using it, the battery will say its charging and then drop (usually from around 100% to 96~97). Or I will unplug it and after saying its fully charged will drop right to 95 or 96 percent.

Are these normal issues? or should I bring my phone back to the apple store to have them look at it?

Thanks in advance

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Both completely normal. The battery trickle charges once it hits 100%. the "o" means there is no 3G coverage and you are using the ancient "edge" network. Check your coverage on Verizon.com.

3. NjForumRider18 thread starter macrumors newbie

good to know about the battery.

Weird about verizon because the coverage is good in my area (NYC/Tri State area) and I've had other phones that were fine with 3g. I guess I will have to wait it out a little bit and see if it is something that is more random or constant. (Verizon just put in 4g in my area, so that couldve caused some network distress)

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'm from the Tri State area as well and i'm pretty familiar with the coverage up there. Does it happen when you're out or just in a building? Perhaps the ceiling was thick where you were? The network is pretty good up there so if it's happening when you're on the road i'd have it checked out. One thing you can do is turn airplane mode on/off, that may help if the phone is struggling switching towers.

5. NjForumRider18 thread starter macrumors newbie

Doesnt really matter location, just when I'm using browser or internet related apps. Seems to be worse when I am indoors, but it does happen While I'm out. I'm contemplating taking it to be checked out, who would be better to take it to, vzw or apple?

6. NjForumRider18 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, just reset all network settings as per verizons troubleshooting page. IT seems to be working good for now, in fact it seems much faster.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

If it persists, go to Apple. Do not go to Verizon.