Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
Hello,

I have an old Rev A Core Duo 2.0Ghz White Macbook and the machine is failing apart :(. I had to remove the DVD drive and replace the hard drive twice but all that was due to turbulence on planes will I was traveling for my business.

My laptop is my life line, its what connects me to other stuff. I do not store any information or important data on it, I don't even store music on it. I stream it from my Mac Mini.

I basically use my laptop to connect to everything else. I do some writing which I do complete with Google Docs, so that is all web based. The other major thing I do is remote desktop with other computer and vpn into the office. For the vpn however I have to go through Virtual Box from Sun.

And lastly I surf the web. I do not use my laptop really for anything else.

I want something that is quiet and light, so I can sit ans use and not disturb other people.

I miss my G4 Cube for that. I could work on that computer all day long in complete silence and not bother a soul with it.

Let me know what you think. I not sure if I should get the Macbook Air our just get a lowend Macbook.

Thanks
iGrant

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Given what you say you do with a laptop, and your need/want for quite I would recommend the Macbook Air 1.86ghz with the 128GB SSD.

The SSD is of course very quite (no moving parts). Also hard to damage from flying turbulence. The Air is very quite machine all around. Plus it's very light weight and easy to travel with.

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Ya it sounds like there is nothing you do that would ever require the fan to come on. So, the SSD model sounds perfect for you.

However, the older Rev A model with the 64gb SSD would also suit you well for surfing the web.

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
Ya it sounds like there is nothing you do that would ever require the fan to come on. So, the SSD model sounds perfect for you.

However, the older Rev A model with the 64gb SSD would also suit you well for surfing the web.

See that is what I was wondering, I was thinking about just getting a 30gb OCZ Core Series SSD drive for my Macbook, that way it would be silent.

Thanks
iGrant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.