Not sure what I really need. Interested in multimedia.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markp9114, Jul 8, 2009.

1. markp9114 macrumors member

I'm going to be a student at my community college next year. I am not majoring in multimedia/graphic design, but I do like to work on that stuff as a hobby. My budget is roughly $2,000. I was thinking about getting the 13-inch 2.53GHz macbook pro with 8GB of ram or the 15-inch 2.66GHz with 4GB of ram. Portability is NOT a major concern of mine. It would be nice if it was portable, but doesn't have to be. Now do you think it would be a waste to have 8GB of ram? Is that going to boost any performance? I mean I don't know what would boost the speed of a macbook pro more..8GB or ram or 2.66Ghz.

I'm just a beginner with multimedia, so it's not like I will be churning out professional cinema videos and whatnot. But I do like to work with adobe after effects, premiere, photoshop, etc. I may be overestimating the mac, but I think it should handle all of these programs right? Probably not all running at the same time, but can it at least run them smoothly?

I have a VERY old desktop(about 7 years old) with 2.5Ghz and 712 MB of DDR Ram, and I surprisingly was able to run these programs individually. Mind you, it was a bit slow at times, but it worked better than I expected.

Like I said, i'm planning to be involved with all aspects of multimedia. Such as photography, web page design, video, etc. But no way professionally. I guess I just want experiment with everything right now.

What do you recommend? You're probably thinking that since I want to do all this multimedia work, I should def get the 17 inch. It's a lot more money than I'm wishing to pay, but maybe if I really need it, I could save up. I was thinking I could just buy the 24'' flat panel display for apple to hook up to if needed. Not really sure how good a mac can run these programs, but I would love to hear from anyone who uses a lower spec'd mac for multimedia purposes.

Also, I'm not really sure if I NEED it now. Like I said, its just a hobby of mine so its not mandatory for school or anything. Should I wait at least till I go to university to make more use of my mac? I've have never owned a laptop, so i'm primarily a desktop user.

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Get yourself a base 13" or base 15" and upgrade the RAM to 4GB on your own - it will do everything you want and more. I run Photoshop, Fireworks, and Dreamweaver CS4 concurrently on my CoreDuo BlackBook with 2GB of RAM and it doesn't give me much trouble. On a new MBP, those programs would be fine.

3. markp9114 thread starter macrumors member

Doesn't upgrading the ram yourself void the warranty?

4. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

^^^^It doesn't as long as you don't damage anything. I think 8GB of ram would be a waste of money for you. I'd get the 13" 2.53 AND an external monitor. That way you will have the best of both worlds. Having screen real estate is nice when using the programs you will need to use.

5. markp9114 thread starter macrumors member

hmm interesting. I was hoping someone would say this because this would be closest to my budget. According to the apple site it would be $2,198 for the the 13" 2.53 MBP and 24'' screen. But i will most likely add apple care also, and tax I hear is a killer. hmm

I'll wait and see what more people think before I get anything. I'm in no rush:D

6. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

You don't have to get their monitor though. HP makes one comparable and kind has the same looks of the MBP for around $400 less. That would pay for tax and AppleCare. People also likethe Dell ultrasharps around here but I'm so sick of seeing the name Dell all day long I don't want to look at it at home anymore either.

7. markp9114 thread starter macrumors member

good point! i've seen some pretty good deals on some dell monitors before. I will have to search around!