Not sure what Macbook to go for - thoughts?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kedaj, Sep 14, 2013.

1. kedaj macrumors newbie

Yeah, I know, one of "these" threads... my situation is a little different though. I recently got a job at a local start up company and one of the perks of the job is that they give you a brand new computer to get started. I'm allowed to pick any model and configuration I want but decided to do a base model as I didn't want to get too greedy... my question is, which should I go for? I realize that the Haswell laptops haven't all been released yet so I need to decide on what's already available. Since I'm a student, this laptop would be used for both work (coding and designing) and school (word processing and web).

I keep reading that the rMBP is awful to design in but since I've never had the chance to use one in that type of setting, I'm unsure how accurate that is. I've been leaning more towards the Air since it's more portable and has better battery life, but I'm not sure if it'll handle multitasking very well. Unfortunately, given the cMBP is user upgradeable, it's too heavy for me to carry around everywhere so I'm not too interested in it. Can anyone provide better input?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

2. leman macrumors 604

I would recommend you getting the base 15" retina. As far as I am concerned it the best all-round laptop on the market :D You can do basically anything with it, including gaming, its excellent for coding because of its superb text quality, the battery life is one of the best and its extremely portable for the machine of such specs. Actually, there is no other machine with comparable specs that would be that portable. Can't comment on the design part though.